Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Photos

Tags
photos
14K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Toonman 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Just had a look through the photos for the first time... I know I'm a bit slow. It actually looks very neat. My only reservations are the air scoop and the interior facia layout which is totally Scooby. I am somewhat disappointed that they haven't even tried to make it look Saaby. I like the Saab interiors.

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Saabaru ? No Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least if it's a Subaru, it should be well built unlike the Saabs that most (including me), complain about in here. We've literally had more hassles with 1 Saab (9-5 Estate) in 7K miles/5 months, than 7 Subaru Impreza Turbo/WRX/STis combined, in 12 yrs 1 month/275,000 miles.

#7 ·
Good point - I sometimes just wonder why you do not get rid of the 9-5 Estate and stick to the Fuji Industries version of automotive excellence. I have no gripes with authentic criticism where something is not working as it is supposed to, but then you make a plan: either you get rid of it and get something better or live with the lemon.

#8 ·
I am sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with your estate. The fact of the matter is that , yes, Japanese cars tend to be more reliable but it also depends on what you want. If I sit in any new Japanase car today the interior just reminds me of a Datsun 120Y my firend use to drive around during my student years. All the switches, dashboard and fittings just look 30 years old....I prefer character and a feelgood factor and the 9-5 has bags of both. In my garage I have my fathers old 1977 504 Peugeot. It starts first time everytime even when left for 2 months. It drives very smoothly and its got 146K on the clock which is proof that you do not have to have a Jap car to get reliability......My 99 2.3 saloon has had various issues over the years but there is no other car for the money that will take me all the way to Croatia on holiday, sit at 120 mph on the autobhans without any effort or drama and after 1300 miles I can get out without feeling tired or any back aches. Everyone who has ever sat in my car has always commented how comfortable the car is and how well the car pulls. Over the years I have had other private and company cars but it was only when I re-discovered Saab [My first one was a 900 Turbo] back in 2000 I decided to stick with a car that just felt right.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes just wonder why you do not get rid of the 9-5 Estate

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we only bought it in January. We'd lose too much if we sold it on - it's a Saab remember. I've already said in other threads I wished we'd bought a Legacy Type B Estate. Whilst I like the Saab, I am bitterly disapointed with the build quality and reliability. I should've paid more attention to this site before purchase, as let's face it, it's full of Saab owners discussing problems - often the same things.

I'm not trying to be smug or funny, but after 12 years of Scoobs, it's a bit of a shock. The Saab is our 2nd car and is less reliable than all of its predecessors, bar one - a Seat Leon Cupra 20VT. The others: Ford Sportka, Renault Clio, Ford Focus Zetec, Nissan Micras (3), Citroen ZX Volcane, Peugeot 205GTIs (2), Ford Fiesta were all very reliable.

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
or any back aches

[/ QUOTE ]

I have problems here too, but I guess it's my problem rather than the 9-5s. For a couple of months, I get terrible back ache after about 100 miles driving - usually down my right side. It goes when I get out of the Saab. I don't get it in other cars. I know everyone raves about the seats, but at the moment, they're not working for me. I guess a trip to the Dr is in order.

Cheers

#11 ·
Out of interest does you car have the sports seats ? The reason I ask is that my Vector Sport came with the sports seats and initialy I did not find them as comfortable as my 99 2.3 se. I am 6'3" and have a long spine so car and truck seats have always been an issue for me. Taking time to fine adjust the seat really helps. To do it properly you should spend a good 10 minutes then get out of the seat for a while then back in for final adjustment. The order should be; Length, Height, Rake, Angle, Reach [ Steering wheel height and reach ] lumber [ just so that you feel slight support], head rest [ top of rest to top of ears ]. Your arms must not be straight to steering wheel and your head should not be touching the head rest. You should not feel weight on your back so do not tilt or angle seat back too far. The electric seats have a far better adjustment in this respect....

#12 ·
Thanks for the setup info Hirschy, but it's 30 years tomorrow (Sunday) since I passed my Test and I've sat in a few car seats since then, including the one in the Lotus Sunbeam I used in the European Rally Championship a few years back.

We have the std Vector with part leather and it causes me problems that I don't get in my Impreza STi, or any other car in the past. 4000 miles across Europe in 2 weeks last Summer, and not a hint of pain in the STi; less than 100 miles in the Saab and agony. If it continues, I may have to bite the bullet and get rid after all.

Cheers

#14 ·
I have to say that I am surprised. Its a shame but it sounds like it will have to go........

Like myslef it sounds like a good percentage of your life is spent behind the wheel so the next car has to fit and feel right. A 10-15 minute test drive will not tell you that........

#19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
it may even start to grow on you again...

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly Hirschy! I just get so disappointed when things go wrong. Still, the dealer fixed the petrol smell and there was nothing else to report. The car's 100% or it was before my Wife took it to Taunton. We'll see what 700 miles has done soon, as she's due back this afternoon - currently stuck in a traffic jam near Birmingham...

For moving 4/5 people around, gear and 2 Labradors, it must have few rivals, aside from awful SUVs/4x4s/PeopleCarriers.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.