Spot the strut brace

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the strut brace

Spot the strut brace

For those of you who are pondering on getting one, here is my WMSS/Elksport strut brace...

Performance? Well I'd say that the brace makes more appreciable to difference handling than the springs and shocks did! The front of the car is now extremely well behaved and the biggest gain is to be had in terms of road stability. There's absolutely no percievable tramlining, steering is much sharper than ever before and camber steer (so often a problem on lowered 9000's IMHO) is considerably reduced. I think if your going for a stiff spring/shock setup then a brace is absolutely essential.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Spot the strut brace

looks good,when you figure out where it is!!,fantastic colour match .would it be worth putting one on a bog standard set up??
    simon

Wastegate

Simon,

I've a brace on my Aero which is still on standard springs and shocks with 140,000m and it made a quite marked difference.

Andrew

cheers andy,now where,d the wife hid my visa??

Saab Afficionado

Jason - it looks pretty solid - were you happy with the quality?
    Also - did you have any problems fitting it?

I'm hoping to order a nice silver one in the next week or so...

Nice one Jason .

Just wondering if anyone with a 9-3 has also done something similar and what the conclusion was?

Saab Afficionado
    Wolverhampton - bling capital of the Midlands

Originally posted by StanleyB:
    [qb]Nice one Jason * * .

Just wondering if anyone with a 9-3 has also done something similar and what the conclusion was? [/qb][/b]
    The 9-3 has already got one.

Nice...one should be appearing in my engine bay soon! Mine's also Imola red so I'm very happy with the colour match.

Does it block access to the filler cap?

Originally posted by faero:
    [qb]Jason - it looks pretty solid - were you happy with the quality?
    Also - did you have any problems fitting it?

I'm hoping to order a nice silver one in the next week or so... [/qb][/b]
    Yes, the quality is excellent.

Fitting was very easy ... I got WMSS to do it for me.

Saabisti

WMSS fitted a Silver Strut Brace while it was serviced last week.

http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/Dscn0109.jpg

My car has the standard aero suspension, except for the poly bushes on the wishbone and anti-roll bars.
    This mod makes a huge improvement to steering response and the "feel" through the steering wheel.
    The car feels much tighter and taut, also eliminated one or rattles that I had from the dash area.
    My 9000 can now be chucked around with much more confidence.
    All this is achieved without affecting the ride quality or refinement.

Glad you're pleased, Jason. Welcome to the strut brace club!

Jason,

Have you had the Bilsteins fittedn now? If so, what do you think to the ride/handling balance?

I'm still not totally convinced by Koni dampers/Abbott springs, though wonder if a lot of my disatisfaction is due to the chassis/suspension design of the 9000 and not the shocks/dampers themselves.

Originally posted by JezF:
    [qb]Jason,

Have you had the Bilsteins fittedn now? If so, what do you think to the ride/handling balance?[/qb][/b]
    Yes, I have the Bilsteins on at the moment. Unfortunately I hadn't had them on long enough to really get used to them before the head went.

But from the drivng I did I could say that they are definitely sorted for high speed driving. On good A-roads and motorway crusing the ride is actually very good, certainly straight line stability is incredible now! The cars very responsive and requires only gentle, flowing steering inputs to negotiate evne the twistiest bits of A-road. I think the real test will come on the track, which is the main reason I went for this kit as I intend for this car to become my track day tool when I can afford something a little newer.

The downside is that when driving at lower speeds the ride is very firm and dampers are a bit too "quick", meaning that you feel every rut and bump in the road. It's far from bone-jarring, but it's certainly the stiffest 9000 I've been in so far and I'm only running it on 16" wheels!!!

[qb]I'm still not totally convinced by Koni dampers/Abbott springs, though wonder if a lot of my disatisfaction is due to the chassis/suspension design of the 9000 and not the shocks/dampers themselves. [/qb][/b]
    At the end of the day it's a car that was designed for comfort and ease of use. I think that as an Elise driver your always going to feel that the 9000 is wanting as it can never be as responsive as you would like it to be.

Perhaps your right there, Jason! Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about the head.

Originally posted by Mazy:
    [qb]WMSS fitted a Silver Strut Brace while it was serviced last week. [/qb][/b]
    How much dosh do they want for fitting one?

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast