Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

93 Convertible Bulkhead cracks

63K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  waseem 
#1 ·
Like many other people who have posted on here, I have recently been experiencing knocking noises from the front suspension when cornering, turning and going over bumps. I got my local friendly MOT testing station (Kirkhams of Crawley who I highly recommend) to have a quick look, but they were unable to locate the cause, but said it was probably the anti-roll bar linkage as this was a common problem, but nothing to worry about. Lived with it for a few weeks then booked the car into Carlsson's in Leatherhead, very helpful and friendly guys, small workshop independent Saab workshop run by just a couple of guys. They located the problem to be cracks in the bulkhead around the bolts that hold on the steering rack. Again they assured me that it is not dangerous, but will need fixing soon but at a main dealer. They had seen this before, common to 93 Saabs especially the convertible. They recommended I took it to a Saab main dealer, told me that the one in Wimbledon apparently charges £1200 for the repair, but Valley Saab of Chipstead only charges £540+vat. So off I go to Valley Saab who again are very helpful and check the bulkhead as soon as I arrive. Confirmed the problem and at my request, agree to contact Saab UK, although as the car doesn't have a full Saab history, doubt that they will assist me in the cost of the repair.
I then rang Saab UK customer service, told them of the problem but they were not too helpful and said they can't do anything until they hear from the dealers service department.
The car is an ex-fleet car from a company that has it's own network of workshops and services it's own vehicles as well as service contracts for several large organisations including the AA. So I think if they are good enough to maintain the AA fleet, I think they can manage a car service without too much trouble.

Can anyone on the board that has had this same problem with their car please let me know if they got any contribution out of Saab for the repair, in my view they are liable under the sale of goods act for selling vehicles with an inherent fault.

You really don't expect a £25k car to have a structural failure after 4 years.

Sorry for the long rant, but just wanted to get it off my chest.

Cheers

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Rob
I have read of others on the forum with same problem and whilst not endemic I think it is quite common but more usually on older cars. Saab are I would say well aware of the problem as they have the solution and price of repair can vary but should be around the £300-400 mark. One prevetitive solution for some has been the fitting of an aftermarket steering rack brace that stiffens this area up and also improves the handling as well.
Hope you get yours sorted and welcome to Saabscene.

MIke

#6 ·
Hi just read that Saab paid in full to repair your bulkhead crack issue. I've got a 1998 Saab 93 saloon which has bulkhead separation - i.e. more than just a crack. Saab are being fairly unhelpful but have offered to pay 50% of the £800 bill. Could you give me any advise on how I get more money from them?

Cheers

#7 ·
Rob, I,m just going through the same situation with Saab . I have a 93 convertible around 6 years old . I have taken it to the local Saab dealer . Concept Saab in Cardiff and they have sent a report to Saab customer Services. I have not had a reply yet , but it should be toady ( Friday ) Any help or advice would be Great.

Ian P

#8 ·
Just a bit of advice on how I got this repair fully funded, I wrote them a letter telling them how dissapointed I was with the quality of their products. Nothing to difficult, just the normal ranting letter of complaint. Sent it recorded delivery to their customer service dept. Then also e-mailed it and copied in bbc watchdog.

Total funding of repair, plus courtesy car.

#11 ·
I didnt see this thread when I started my topic, sorry for bringing it back up after 4 years but I have a cracked bulkhead with my 97 SAAB 900 convertible. I have wront to SAAB UK and a deaer in Sheffield were I live but to no avail, I have called and e-mailed and getting nowhere.

What are their thoughts on repairing a car thats now 14 years old I wonder, of which they did cause themselves in the first place?

Can anyone give me advice what to write and say, as maybe I am saying the wrong things? I have so many questions but I think the main one is, is a cracked bulkhead really such a serious issue as it is made out to be, or are people just very cautious?

#12 ·
Ghostlad, SaabUK simply won't bother. You'll get the brush off. I just did.
Excerpt from email dated 13/06:
"I am sorry that, unfortunately, you fall out of our criteria for assistance as your vehicle is now 11 years old and has covered 107,000 miles."

A cracked bulkhead is a problem as it reduces the responsiveness of the car and, not being funny, weakens part of the chassis which you need to be strong in an accident.

Most importantly, however, is the control aspect and if your bulkhead has failed, I'd encourage you to get it fixed pronto.

I had mine done by Lenny at Cromwell Saab just last week. He did an excellent job on it and the car feels better than when we first got it 3 years ago. Would strongly suggest that you get the work done irrelevant of your bulkhead being compromised, as the structure of the bulkhead will be immeasurably upgraded.

#13 ·
Well, in the last weeks the front shocks retired, and then I noticed the bulkhead has cracked.

So SAAB UK is not picking up the bills then I guess? How much did you pay?

My trouble is the car rides like a boat, the car and I are both in Sweden, I don't even dare to go and ask a garage here how much they would charge for such a job (I guess, a ballpark figure, close to £2-3k, as they have probably never done one before). I simply can't afford these crazy prices.

At least if the suspensions are ok I can drive it back to the UK and scarp it..

I drafted a letter to SAAB Sweden, let's hope they will at least offer something, otherwise the car is going to be scarped.

#16 ·
As this thread has already relatively recently been reinvigorated, I wondered if anyone couple point me to some pics or a guide as what to look for? I'm just about to buy an X reg convertible and wanted to check it out for cracks. Is it easy to check if it has been repaired?

Also, what is this steering brace that is mentioned?

Thanks!!

#18 ·
My previous Saab was a 1999 9-3 convertible. After buying it I immediately dropped it at Mann and Woodland in Brighton for an inspection. The first thing they told me when I returned what that the bulkhead had cracked and I would not go far. They fixed it for £400 vat incl. Quite a fair price in hindsight.

The convertible has been sold now as we needed something more practical. Yesterday I bought a 5-door 1999 9-3 SE Sport and I'm quite happy with it. But I am wondering now, does the bulkhead problem also exist on the non-convertible 9-3's?

#22 ·
It's difficult to see as there's a lot in the way. I'm sure someone will be able to be more 'technical' than me. If the steering groans then that's a sign and if the pedals move quite a bit when you turn the wheel, then that's also a sign. It is now being picked up at MOTs so if you're buying from a garage, get them to MOT it. Mileage and history doesn't count I'm afraid - my 01 9-3 5dr failed on it at 62k miles and more history than the Bible lol.

HTH
Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.