Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

"check engine" problems

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  pyronerd 
#1 ·
1./ Since a few days we experience a problem with my wifes car (a 900 2.0t from 1994, 118.000km). Without having driven special or slower/faster than we normally do, the alarm "check engine" goes on.
Everything stays the same, no higher consumation, only the free running goes to 1.500 and somethimes 2.000 t/m. After a while everything goes back to normal. (after a ring to the garage, almost afraid to bring the car in, "Is time to buy a new one, is a very expencive reparation)
2./ Almost at the same time, the temperature-meter begins to have strange ways of working. On free running engine he goes steady to the middle, once driving he goes almost back to bleu. Everything stays normal (consumation of 10.4l/100km) (same answer from the garage)
3./ The car has the saab-original car radio/cassette, my wife would like to have the cd-changer.The garage said that that type of changer is out of stocklist, can not be bought anymore, checked by Clarion, they said that it is possible the radio is a Clarion... What kind of cd-changer can I put on that radio (saab900,2.0t from 06/1994)
Thanks, sorry for the writting, in Belgium is written English not so commen.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Board, saab900t9!

I understood your question OK. Your English is much better than my Flemish...

I had a similar problem. My engine temperature reading was always low and the "Check Engine" light was on. It was a very simple problem to fix, just a new thermostat.

I'm sorry, but I do not know why the "idle" speed (free running) should be 1500 or 2000 RPM. I do not see how this could be related to engine temperature so perhaps there is another fault?

For the CD changer, did you contact Clarion directly? They may have a new model that is compatible with your radio.

Good luck,

Martin

#4 ·
I had this problem too - it would seem to be the air temperature in either the inlet or outlet sensor is too cold - you should find it doesn't come on if the ambient air temperature is above about 8 degrees C. And changing the thermostat should work - basically your engine is operating at below its optimum temperature. Scary though, isn't it? I thought the thing was going to seize up!!!

#5 ·
I am having a similar problem with a '99 9-3, though the "Check Engine" message hasn't popped up (yet)...My temp gauge will rise predictably to the middle of the gauge range, and then drop slowly to blue, then go back up. I took it to my mechanic, and he couldn't figure out anything wrong...he said if it was a thermostat problem, the heater would be likely to go cold when the temp gauge dropped, but mine doesn't. He thinks it's a problem with the gauge itself. He had a BMW that had a similar problem with both the temp gauge and the fuel gauge, that never did get resolved. Nature of a quirky car, he maintains. I hope someone has a solution to this, as it is driving me nuts.

#6 ·
Both the water temperature sensor and the outdoor sensor are prone to failure and have been classified as "common faults". The symptoms described with respect to the temperature gauge do indicate a faulty temperature sensor.

The SAAB CD changer can be substituted for a number of different Clarion changers. The 625, 635, 655 Clarion models will all work with the Clarion based SAAB head unit. Other later models from Clarion might work, but best to check that out with Clarion.

#8 ·
Welcome to the board, saab900t9!

Your English was perfectly understandable. Mais, si vous voulez, comme Mark_A vous a dit, quelques'uns de nous parlent les autres langues, y compris le francais.

A thought about the idle speed increasing......I read that the Saab Direct Ignition unit, if it detects idle speed dropping for whatever reason, can compensate automatically by increasing the spark timing and revving the engine to the range you described for a few seconds. My 9-3 actually did this once (though to this day I have yet to figure out why).

And for what it's worth, my father's 1997 900SE had the thermostat problem that the others mentioned, which probably is what you're experiencing. It sounds from what you said that your dealer is either stupid or trying to scam you.

Bonne chance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.