my new 900 carlsson - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my new 900 carlsson

Re: my new 900 carlsson

thanks rocket hope you like what we have done to the car so far we have been making lists which paul is just about to post as he can spell .
    the car is a great car there has never been such a massive smile on my face as the turbo cuts in
    it an old car but it got lots of charm and staying in the garage now all warm, sure that will help .

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

FE51, you remind me of those folks who buy a classic car for one summers use, decide its twenty something years of battle scaring on the UK roads warrants a complete rebuild, then said car spends the next 7 years in bits, yet when the restoration that's just cost you 3 times the cars value is finished, you only dare take it out on sunny Sundays, in fear of getting it dirty, becaus in that 7 years you've become an old [expletive deleted].

We are talking about a 14 year old 900 Carlsson here. Not a collectors car but a drivers car, and for a couple of grand or so, one well worth driving the wheels off. To hell with pristine.

here here

Well, now our project carlsson's been up on ramps for a thorough inspection we can now report back on the further niggles that were worrying us.

Turns out the rear suspension problem is due to the rear axle or pannard rod being bent, apparently not such an uncommon failure on c900s due to speed humps theese days
    fortunately replacements are easy to come by and not expensive although fiddly to fit (looks like our friendly local saab independent is gonna be kept busy with bigger jobs like this)
    The engine oil leak is only minor - probably crank shaft oil seal I'm told.
    Also minor gearbox oil leak from selector shaft, again not a major issue, at least the gearbox is like new since it's recent rebuild
    other little issues such as two of the alloys are slightly buckled on the inside of the rims, top ball joint worn, headlining grubby and sagging slightly, elec windows lazy.

good job it's a project and not our main car eh?

seriously though as rocket says it is a rare car and we are looking forward to restoring it, the only rust is on the door bottoms and some starting on the wheel arches - only visible from underneath, the front bumper needs repair but probably not so bad.

We're pleased with the ammount we paid for it and the work that the seller has already done

Our local saab mechanic reckons it's a good solid car and damn quick even he's not sure why it goes so well, just reckons the engine's been well looked after

Once we've sourced a nice new 3" exhaust I'm it will be frightening, can't wait

oh, forgot to say welcome to Saabscene 'rocket' most people are generally friendly on here

Wastegate

I wish all these go faster bit's existed when I got my C900 Carly back in early 1992.

Mine was a non-catted leather interior one in Black.

Went very nicely for a early 90's car but I had to let it go when in 1995 I saw a Black CS Aero (the SCAero ), the Carly had had a close call with a drunk driver while it was parked one night and I wasn't going to keep it for long after that.

I only saw that car once more 6 months later and the reg is no longer 'known' by the DVLA so maybe it got killed.

In the 2 and a bit years these cars were available (halfway through 1990 to halfway through 1992), there were only 195 made.

Andrew

welcome from me too mr rocket hope you like your rating

The blue bmw L963 MUA belongs to my parents, funnily enough many years ago they had a 99combi coupe which I eventually bought off my dad when he got a company car, it was my first car restored it a bit and never looked back!
    then moved on though a 90, c900i, and a gm900T, now finally got a c900 again
    my parents however have never bought another saab, dunno why, although my mum did used to love driving my 900i whilst i lived at home

Originally posted by tuckshopted:
    [qb]oh, forgot to say welcome to Saabscene 'rocket' most people are generally friendly on here * * *[/qb][/b]
    Is that a sideways dig at me? All I'm doing is expressing my opinion, can I not do that here?

Wastegate

Tuckshop/Saab93.

Thatlooking nice now, and also having a red carly, I know how hard it is to keep red

I see someone has added carly badges to the bonnet and rear air vent covers for extra speed.

The read panhard rod is a doddle to change as I bent one on my old 900i and it only took 15 minurs to change.

Andrew

oww be cool mr fe51 just seemed a bit hard

Originally posted by Rocket:
    [qb]FE51, you remind me of those folks who buy a classic car for one summers use, decide its twenty something years of battle scaring on the UK roads warrants a complete rebuild, then said car spends the next 7 years in bits, yet when the restoration that's just cost you 3 times the cars value is finished, you only dare take it out on sunny Sundays, in fear of getting it dirty, becaus in that 7 years you've become an old [expletive deleted].

We are talking about a 14 year old 900 Carlsson here. Not a collectors car but a drivers car, and for a couple of grand or so, one well worth driving the wheels off. To hell with pristine. [/qb][/b]
    Been running "modern classics" i.e. 900 turbos, every day for the last 9 years.

I wonder how many c900 carly's are actually left, don't think I've ever seen a white one, only a few red and less black - probably look best looking in black.
    Ours doesn't have leather (at the moment) but does have aircon (which may work again soon too)
    hopefully it will live for a long time
    Always nice to see good examples of T16s about, such a great burble too

we were not to sure were the badges should be as they seem all over the place any advise would be nice as they are blue tacked on

Originally posted by tuckshopted:
    [qb]I wonder how many c900 carly's are actually left, don't think I've ever seen a white one, only a few red and less black - probably look best looking in black.
    Ours doesn't have leather (at the moment) but does have aircon (which may work again soon too)
    hopefully it will live for a long time * * *
    Always nice to see good examples of T16s about, such a great burble too * * *[/qb][/b]
    Seen two white 900 Carlsson's and they look far better in the flesh than brochure pictures. "Classic 900" in Hull run one

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast