Is the 900 RWD? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the 900 RWD?

Re: Is the 900 RWD?

Originally posted by Olaf:
    [qb]The 96 V4 also has lenghtwise engine and FWD, gearbox is placed in front of the engine.

[/qb][/b]
    Mad Panic! I have just rushed out to check, but both my V4s have the engine in front of the gearbox!

It is probably a reflection of my age (a sad old git of 45) that I remember that when the crankshaft was perpendicular to the axis of the car this was called either 'in-line' or 'conventional', most other cars of the era having engines mounted this way. Principally it was the mini and 1100/1300 series etc which were unusual with it's transverse or 'unconventionally' mounted engines. The majority of front wheel drive cars of the sixties and early seventies had 'in-line' engines with many having the engine in front of the front axle (understeer city) like Audi whilst the small Renaults of that era (4, early 5 and 6) had the engine in front and that weird gearlever poking through the dashboard with the linkage running over the rocker box!. The bigger ones (12, 15, 17, 16, 20) had the engine in front of the axle line. More understeer! as if there wasn't enough on french cars of that era. IIRC Citroens were pretty much the same, but you could fit castors to the door handles to improve cornering stability

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Craig's C900 Workshop:
    [qb]I'm sure they're easy enough to figure out, but unless their mounting locations are marked with cast-on identifiers, I can see how it'd be easy to confuse the various drain plugs. 8-)
    [/qb][/b]
    Craig,
    They are. See nutcase's post!
    TB

Saabisti

Originally posted by Trollbooster:
    [qb]*QUOTE
    [qb]

I'm sure they're easy enough to figure out, but unless their mounting locations are marked with cast-on identifiers, I can see how it'd be easy to confuse the various drain plugs. 8-)
    [/qb][/b]
    Craig,
    They are. See nutcase's post!
    TB [/qb][/b][/quote]Yes I did read that. 8-) Will being doing the coolant and oil system flush/clean jobs on my 1985 900i today since the weather is sunny (it's still cold though - shows we're almost hitting winter here!) and not too windy.

BTW, the local auto parts store didn't have any stock of Shell Helix Ultra the other day so since the 900i is not my main C900 (and probably won't be registered until much later this year) I'm using the non-synthetic Shell Helix Super for the engine oil. I'll be flushing the system with Nulon Engine Oil Flush before changing the oil filter (got a box of genuine Saab oil filters from a UK-based Ebay seller recently!) and putting in the new oil.

For the coolant I am using Australian-made Nulon Long-Life Concentrated Coolant which I'll mix 1:1 with clean water once I flush the cooling system out with Nulon R40 Radiator Flush and Clean. There are probably generic products similar to these available all over the world.

I'm sure the Nulon coolant products don't compare to the famed Mercedes-Benz coolant which seems to get mentioned a lot (especially by Tom Townsend in the cooling system tech documents at his Townsend Imports website). I don't think I can use the Nulon red coolant due to it's incompatibility with copper/brass radiators. Coolants are a subject all of their own. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

Originally posted by Craig's C900 Workshop:[qb](it's still cold though - shows we're almost hitting winter here!) [/qb][/b]
    Craig, Don't expect to much sympathy!

I checked the BBC weather forecast, it is still warmer in Sydney (approaching Winter) than it is here (approaching summer!)

Originally posted by Ross ARMc900:
    [qb]Correct terminolgy for non transverse is longitudaly mounted! *[/qb][/b]
    [pedant] or even longitudinally [/pedant]

[qb]What we need is for a website (doesn't matter where - but it could be the tech library at my site) to have pictures and/or diagrams for component locations much like the pictures/diagrams in the Bentley manuals, but online so they can be accessed without needing to have a manual on-hand at all times.[/qb][/b]
    We're working on it- slowly - at saabs.info (although it is down at the mo)

Originally posted by Trollbooster:
    [qb]when the crankshaft was perpendicular to the axis of the car this was called either 'in-line' or 'conventional',[/qb][/b]
    and just to confuse things further, "inline" is also used to describe engine configuration i.e. cylinders in a straight line as opposed to Vn, boxer etc.

Yes it was certainly confusing, when you could have an "in-line" "transverse" engine referred to!

It is even worse now that the Teutonic manufacturers whose name we dare not utter now make a "W" engine!

standard triumph did a 1300 d? to h reg which was frontwheel drive with the engine in like the saab 900, and later(hreg new model) either the 1300 or toledo(1500)was front wheel drive but engine same as the saab 900, and then the dolomite 1850,(rear wheel)which was the same block as the saab900,produced at triumph for saab.

I think some of the Renault 21's were transverse and some inline as well.

British Leyland being at there confusing best, had the Triumph 1500 FWD and the 1500HL RWD, the Toledo 1300 was FWD, but the Dolomite 1300 RWD.

Originally posted by microcat36:
    [qb]British Leyland being at there confusing best, had the Triumph 1500 FWD and the 1500HL RWD, the Toledo 1300 was FWD, but the Dolomite 1300 RWD. [/qb][/b]
    Which might go some way to explaining recent events in the British Car industry, sadly.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12