Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

120k dampers. Lowering springs?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chrisjshaw 
#1 ·
Looking to sort out the suspension of the carly for brother (or possibly me if I fall back in love with it!)
Do we put lowering springs on and keep dampers (120k)
New oem sachs/bilstein dampers and lowering springs
Or koni/bilstein sports and lowering springs.

The latter option is obviously best, but money is a precious thing. Would I really notice a difference with new oem dampers and lowering springs?Or is it a waste of money?

We have new poly bushes all round (or will do when I take the wishbone bushes to a man with vice)

#2 ·
I held off replying as I don't really know the Carly to drive but here is my two cents worth.

The oem shocks on Saabs seem to last forever in terms of passing MOT etc. However, they are certainly not the same at 120K. If you search the threads you will find lots of posts saying how difficult / impossible it is to buy the oem shocks.

So, if you do want to replace the shocks, I think that you will have to replace with Koni or something.

HTH,
Chris

#5 ·
I believe the Aero and Carly had the same Sachs shocks but they were larger diameter than standard and have a different colour coded spot from the rest of the range. It is these shocks that seem to be impossible to get. Hence my move to Koni with Abbot springs for my Anniversary 2.3 FPT with "R" engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.