Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Carlsson not boosting fully,any ideas???

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  philcrombie 
#1 ·
I wonder if anybody can give me some clues as to why my 2.3 CS Carlsson is only reaching about half-way at best in the yellow/orange section on the boost gauge when I give it a bit of stick? It used to hit the red with no problem. I've checked the waste gate control rod and that is intact and not sticking. All the vacuum hoses seem fine so I was wondering if the Boost Control Valve could be faulty. If so, does anybody know how you can test this, if at all?
I'm confident all you knowledgeable people will point me in the right direction.
Many thanks in advance
Cheers

#2 ·
My 1st guess would be the APC valve by the radiator, or it's connector.

I think someone has said it should be about 3.2 ohms from wither end pin to the middle.

You could disconnect the C pipe (one tapped to the turbo intake scroll) and see if you go to overboost.

Andrew

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my boost gauge not getting close to the red. The car seems fast enough and you can feel the boost build but if I were to guess, I would say it's going to base boost and staying there. Thanks to Andrew I now know where the APC valve is and checked it yesterday with my meters. I got no reading at all with the digital and around 2ohms with the analog. Any idea as to whether it is working or not?

#4 ·
Many thanks to Scaero and Griffin#341 for being the ONLY 2 respondents to my 'techincal' question. I'm ASTOUNDED that somebody loses his cigarette lighter - (WOW that's technical) and uses this bulletin board to ask HOW to get a new one -Doh!, but what is even more bewildering, is that he gets 13 replies!!!!
Anyway, rant over, my problem appears to be the boost control valve as there is NO resistance between pins 1&2 but there is between 2&3 and also when the ignition is on you should hear a weak buzzing sound from it but mine seems dead.
BTW the resistance between the sets of pins should be 3 ohms plus or minus 1.
Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.