Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

saab 9.3 aero 2l 57 plate uk - coolant leak

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ghost Town 
#1 ·
I am having problems with a leak on my 9.3.

I have just replaced one of the heater hoses after seeing a leak. Everything i have put back on is dry.

So i top it all up... squeeze the hoses to help get any trapped air out of the system... then drive for circa 3 to 4 miles and the coolant warning comes back on as the collant level has dropped... this has happened 2 or 3 times...

The only dripping i can find is shown in the attached video kind of a flash in the middleof the video. Initially i wondered if it was moisture from the aircon but now i am not so sure....

Looks like there have been a couple of bodges done to the car in the past but i am changing that as i find them.

Has anyone seen this dripping before? Is it aircon moisture or something

#4 ·
Hello and a warm welcome aboard the good ship saabscene Ghost Town .
if it was the air con then that would be dripping round about from the middle at the back of the engine ( nearest the fire wall )
i would try a pressure test on the cooling system to see if there is any leaks from hoses .
you say it looks like there have been a couple of bodges done are they on the cooling system
an old way of checking head gasket failure was ( and this is with a very stern safety warning )!
is to start the car . Warm it up take expansion cap off and sniff for smell of fuel .

also check expansion cap itself , sometimes they fail .
PS I cannot see your video anywhere.
is your car manual or automatic?

#5 ·
Thanks... initially it looks like clear water and it is in that location... but unless its air clearing from the coolant system where i have worked on it.. i am at a loss.... i did slightly better than my usual mechanic who could see anything...

The bodges were putting some sort of sealent around a heating hose rather than either changing a hose or the rubber washer inside it...

They have also cut hoses when the ends were perishing but probably cut them too much and its made everything a bit too snug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.