saab 9.3 aero 2l 57 plate uk - coolant leak

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: saab 9.3 aero 2l 57 plate uk - coolant leak

saab 9.3 aero 2l 57 plate uk - coolant leak

I am having problems with a leak on my 9.3.

I have just replaced one of the heater hoses after seeing a leak. Everything i have put back on is dry.

So i top it all up... squeeze the hoses to help get any trapped air out of the system... then drive for circa 3 to 4 miles and the coolant warning comes back on as the collant level has dropped... this has happened 2 or 3 times...

The only dripping i can find is shown in the attached video kind of a flash in the middleof the video. Initially i wondered if it was moisture from the aircon but now i am not so sure....

Looks like there have been a couple of bodges done to the car in the past but i am changing that as i find them.

Has anyone seen this dripping before? Is it aircon moisture or something

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Newbie

Re: saab 9.3 aero 2l 57 plate uk - coolant leak

Check your oil level to rule out a head gasket problem. Hopefully you don't pull up milkshake on the dipstick.

Thanks... should have thought about that as a starter for 10...

Hello and a warm welcome aboard the good ship saabscene Ghost Town .
    if it was the air con then that would be dripping round about from the middle at the back of the engine ( nearest the fire wall )
    i would try a pressure test on the cooling system to see if there is any leaks from hoses .
    you say it looks like there have been a couple of bodges done are they on the cooling system
    an old way of checking head gasket failure was ( and this is with a very stern safety warning )!
    is to start the car . Warm it up take expansion cap off and sniff for smell of fuel .

also check expansion cap itself , sometimes they fail .
    PS I cannot see your video anywhere.
    is your car manual or automatic?
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Thanks... initially it looks like clear water and it is in that location... but unless its air clearing from the coolant system where i have worked on it.. i am at a loss.... i did slightly better than my usual mechanic who could see anything...

The bodges were putting some sort of sealent around a heating hose rather than either changing a hose or the rubber washer inside it...

They have also cut hoses when the ends were perishing but probably cut them too much and its made everything a bit too snug

Its manual.. and i ve never been an on line genius so might have added it wrong or it might have been too big.

No smell of fuel.. i dont think its the head gasket but i didnt check and thats an easy thing to do.... school boy error...

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements