Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1994 9000 CDE NT Project

21K views 218 replies 4 participants last post by  pocobind 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Next up, trans drop and clutch repair. A much more solid and clean spot to work on the Saab too! Thanks Randy! CarolinaDyno
Yes, I will probably end up putting it on the dyno when it's all done. I will be surprised if it can pull the roller. :D
Oh. It will be getting an exterior wash and gas tank degreasing. From that old gas it smells like the neighbor's dog that never gets washed. And, it's right by the dyno bay. LOL Peeeeuuuuuu.

#8 ·
Not bad at all. I've seen worse. The caliper was reluctant to come off but the pads are extremely thick, lots of wear left. Lots of surface corrosion. The shift selector rod connector has extremely rusted hardware and I couldn't get to it to finish the transmission removal last weekend. I will put the transmission in 4th and that should move it far enough away from the power steering lines to let me reach the rubber connector and split it.

#14 ·
Clutch parts and throttle body parts on order. The TB shaft seals have to come from Sweden so that will be a long wait for a rebuild. Plenty to work on until then, though. The master cylinder, clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder cover and all seals will be replaced. I just don't trust Pro Parts' slave cylinder with the reviews I've seen. If the OE rebuild becomes a problem I'll replace the whole thing but frankly the OE is a simple design, made from quality alloys and easily rebuilt so I'd prefer that. The right rear tail lamp housing has a crack and is catching/holding water. The circuit panel is corroded but functional. The crack is in an inconspicuous location at the top but I'm not sure sealing it will be feasible. My main goal, right now, is to get the car ready for safety inspection so I can get a tag on it.

#19 ·
Transmission is back in and the clutch is working. No video this time, needed to focus on the work. I am missing 1 bolt for the frame by the steering rack bolt and the two nuts that hold the shifter bushing together. Once I've sorted that out I'll record more video of the project. I'm still waiting for throttle body shaft seals from Sweden to finish the throttle body rebuild. The intermediate shaft tube pulled out of the RH bushing and won't go back in. I'm going to have to get it on a lift to have enough room to work it back together. I'll probably make new fuel lines while it's up in the air as well.

#20 ·
The throttle body is done. Used some viton orings to fill the packing space on the shaft. Still no word from the vendor on when the v seals will ship from Sweden, if they ever do. It has been about a month since I placed the order and I have gotten no response on requests for updates. I will probably request a cancellation at this point. If it's in the states, it ships fast from eSaabparts.com. If not, it may never ship even if they say it's available elsewhere.

Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part Engine Automotive super charger part
Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor
Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part

#23 ·
Yes I did. eSaabParts.com ships a lot of their stuff from Orio. I just got them in (5 weeks later) and it's the same V-ring part# that I took out. Seems to me it's a tad small for the packing space, but that's the OE part I suppose! I have one spare here in the states if anyone needs one. I'm going to keep the o-ring stack in and see how it does over the course of the project. I'd much prefer that over a hard-to-find v-seal like that. Hopefully I will have the car in my garage soon. A few hours a week, about a 30 minute drive away, is not very conducive to project progression when it's this involved. Plus the dyno shop, airport and busy road there just make it a loud place to work and shoot video. The bike project just got moved out back to the shop and I'm starting on purging the garage next. I do NOT look forward to that. I already have 2 pick-up truck loads of pack-rat stuff to haul away just from the shop floor.

Attachments

#24 ·
The garage is almost done. Wow, there's a floor there. A lot of floor. :eek: And... I'm still sore. 2 or 3 more pickup truck loads to haul away. The bench and excess automotive stuff is being donated to the dyno shop. Had to make room for the press and shop crane against the wall. It just ends up collecting garbage anyway. Been a good one, though. It's worked as an ammo reloading bench, supported a Genesis Coupe transmission R&D teardown, held many 2-cycle and 4-cycle small engines and the XJ550 bike engine rebuild.