Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

saab 93 yr2001 auto

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  APC900 
#1 ·
hi there,
having problems with my gearbox.. year 2001 93 auto...drive down the road and after a while the car goes into neutral
turn off back to park start again select drive an I'm off again then it happens again..now if I select gear it doesn't move...
have been told to replace gear box oil by flushing.....any advice on how
thanx

#4 ·
Well you need the fault codes to start troubleshooting........car probably in limp mode.
Often the solenoids start sticking.
"on for a while" with the fault has probably made things worse and
has likely now damaged it physically.
Drain the ATF if it has a burnt smell or black and any "glitter" then its toast.

#6 ·
hi there,
I have a tech2 but last time I plugged it in got no connection to the computer..problem is car is not with me 50odd miles away.....as to the ATF no burn smell...a bit of black soot ??
ive loaned it to a friend.....would it not be easier to just replace the box?

#7 ·
Hello,
I have same car...first thing to do is to drain and fill your transmission at least 3 times until ATF comes super clean..drive around 50 to 100 km in between drains. DO NOT FLUSH the transmission, better and cheaper to do drain and fill. This is the first step before you start messing with transmission. If problem persists, you have to run a TECH2 diagnostics on the car...there should be some DTC P0730 or some close to that. If codes relate to mechanical transmission problem you will be better of changing the tranny to a good used one...Valve bodies for this tranny AW50-42LE are scarce...but if you prefer and have a good Transmission mechanic is better to rebuild your car's tranny - used ones of this age will most likely be in the same condition.
Hope this helps you!
Regards

#9 · (Edited)
That's a good first step.
If everything looks okay at the DLC connector, check for power on fuse #13 to pin 16 on DLC.
It should be a red wire in your case.
Check for ground on pins 4 and 5 of the DLC.
Lastly, plug in the terminators at the TECH2 and do a self check of the keyboard and VCI module under tool test.
I just discovered a bad VCI module on my own TECH2 clone.
If you can find somebody with a working tech2, you can have somebody drive the car, while you watch the solenoids inside the transmission actuate at the various shift points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.