Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Locked ignition switch Saab 93/YS3D

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  InEurope 
#1 ·
Yesterday I had a terrible experience: The car stood in sun, it had almost 50 Celsius inside when I came back from shopping. Opened the door, put the key into the ignition switch (barrel) and wanted to start the engine. When I turned the switch to put the gear lever to idle I heard only "CLOCK", again and again I heard "CLOCK". Nothing moved.

I tried for half an hour with all tricks to turn the key to get ignition and get the backwards gear into idle position.
Suddenly it worked. WAS IT THE HEAT ??

Has anyone had same experience? What can be done to be sure that this does not happen again?

#2 ·
Hello,
This problem is a classic STARTER failure...you need to remove the starter and take it to an Electric Auto Shop and have it serviced, usually the problem is that starter motor ran out of carbons, or the solenoid is not good anymore..need to take it out..does not cost too much..do not recommend a used starter unless it has been REMAN.
Hope this helps you get around the problem.
Regards

#3 ·
Maybe I did not properly describe my problem: Putting the key into the ignition I could not turn the ignition key. The key was blocked and thus I could not get the backwards gear into idle. That was the problem.
I tried and tried and suddenly the key could be turned. Coming home I oiled the whole thing and it worked for some days. Yesterday the key blocked again. I think I will have to dismantle the whole and have a look what is going on.
Maybe someone had similar trouble ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.