Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Steering lock failure help please

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wildboar 
#1 ·
Hi Guys have not been on this site for ages and not sure I am posting my question in the right spot.
I have a SAAB 93 2004. About a year ago i needed to replace the steering lock as I got the mesage saying "steering lock failure" so my car would not start. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, it then started. When I turned it off it would not start again with the same warning about the steering lock failure. Anyway I had the steering lock replaced with a second hand one. now a year later I have the same thing happening. I cant really aford to get it changed again . Is there a work around to bypass it or something? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hello stevo1.what part was replaced last year ?
Was it the CIM ( which is behind the steering wheel ) that's expensive
or the SIM ( which is where you put your key in ? ) that's relatively cheap compared to the above .
there is no work around that issue .
i had that message on mine but if I kept inserting the key then taking it out then the message cleared .i replaced the SIM because the black part that the key pushes down ( it's a sort of switch ) was not making contact hence the message .
they are cheap if you go second hand , but you get what you pay for .
if you do ever disconnect the battery , you have to make sure the key is NOT in the ignition at all !

#9 ·
The switch is ISM - stands for Ignition Switch Module...sometimes this triggers the failure, to know for sure you need to have your car scanned with TECH2 - the codes will tell what is going on...on the reason for immobilization TECH2 will show which part is the culprit...that is the best way to go..else is just GUESSING - not recommended on this car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.