Steering lock failure help please

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Steering lock failure help please

Saab Junior

Steering lock failure help please

Hi Guys have not been on this site for ages and not sure I am posting my question in the right spot.
    I have a SAAB 93 2004. About a year ago i needed to replace the steering lock as I got the mesage saying "steering lock failure" so my car would not start. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, it then started. When I turned it off it would not start again with the same warning about the steering lock failure. Anyway I had the steering lock replaced with a second hand one. now a year later I have the same thing happening. I cant really aford to get it changed again . Is there a work around to bypass it or something? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Steering lock failure help please

Hello stevo1.what part was replaced last year ?
    Was it the CIM ( which is behind the steering wheel ) that's expensive
    or the SIM ( which is where you put your key in ? ) that's relatively cheap compared to the above .
    there is no work around that issue .
    i had that message on mine but if I kept inserting the key then taking it out then the message cleared .i replaced the SIM because the black part that the key pushes down ( it's a sort of switch ) was not making contact hence the message .
    they are cheap if you go second hand , but you get what you pay for .
    if you do ever disconnect the battery , you have to make sure the key is NOT in the ignition at all !
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Junior

Thanks for getting back. The steering lock was changed to fix it.

So it was the CIM then ? The part behind the steering wheel?
    Thats why it was so expensive.

Saab Junior

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard-t View Post
    So it was the CIM then ? The part behind the steering wheel?
    Thats why it was so expensive.
    Brings me back to the question, does anybody know of a work around to do away with the steering lock without giving the computer a headache?

As in my original post , there is no work around that issue .
    but it could be the SIM which is where you put your key in that's at fault .
    because that's a known failure as well and will pop the same warning message up .

Saab Junior

No it is not the SIM, that was changed out, as I said the steering lock was changed for a second hand one that fixed the problem but it happened again a year or so later

I think lizzard means the ISM which is what the fob goes in..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard-t View Post
    Hello stevo1.what part was replaced last year ?
    Was it the CIM ( which is behind the steering wheel ) that's expensive
    or the SIM ( which is where you put your key in ? ) that's relatively cheap compared to the above .
    there is no work around that issue .
    i had that message on mine but if I kept inserting the key then taking it out then the message cleared .i replaced the SIM because the black part that the key pushes down ( it's a sort of switch ) was not making contact hence the message .
    they are cheap if you go second hand , but you get what you pay for .
    if you do ever disconnect the battery , you have to make sure the key is NOT in the ignition at all !
    The switch is ISM - stands for Ignition Switch Module...sometimes this triggers the failure, to know for sure you need to have your car scanned with TECH2 - the codes will tell what is going on...on the reason for immobilization TECH2 will show which part is the culprit...that is the best way to go..else is just GUESSING - not recommended on this car!

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements