Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1998 9-5 Engine starts revs to 3000 rpm and the stalls

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  natoqc 
#1 ·
Hi there,

A little history, have had this car since 2000 and have taken care of it.

Did the PCV change, cleaned the sump 3 times.

A couple of weeks ago had the oil pressure light come on. Cleaned the sump again (about 30% clogged with bits but not sludge and nothing metallic) and changed the oil pump. Took it for a 30 km drive to heat the engine and no problem (the oil light would come on at idle when the engine was hot).

Following day was on the motorway and the engine stalled completely. It rev'ed on its own and then stalled. Managed to cruise to the hard shoulder where I had it towed home.

When I start the car it will crank longer than usual, start, rev up on its own to 3000 rpm approx, idle for possibly 1 or 2 seconds and then stall.

I have a check engine light but cannot read the codes. I bought an OBD2 scanner but it would seem that the 1998 9-5 is not EOBD compatible. My OBD scanner works perfectly on my other car.

In the past 3 years I have changed quite a few things on the car including the CPS and Turbo Bypass Valve but have not touched the MAF nor the turbo (still original).

Have checked for vacuum leaks, found a couple which I repaired but it did not change anything.

As it is the month of July in France, most garages are either shut or not taking on more work as they are getting ready to close for holidays. In any case I'm not sure they would have a Tech2 to read the codes and I can't move the car.

Other strange noise which I had never noticed before is a "tic tic" about six times when I turn the the key to start the car but do not start cranking. The sound seems to come from the rear of the engine possibly from the throttle body. Maybe I had never paid attention to it before and it is normal.

Do these symptoms ring a bell for anybody?

Your thoughts would be welcome...

See less See more
#2 ·
The tic tic tic is the throttle body going into limp mode....and putting the engine in the same state.
Disconnect your battery to clear the code otherwise...tic tic tic straight away
Then reset the throttle body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnFpkyLfv4
TB's are a weak point and of you have never changed it then you have been very lucky!
I have had to replace mine x2 on my 2001...the wiring inside the black cover perishes over time and all kinds of mayhem results.
I would replace it...there are a few types you need an early one up to 2003...part number 9188186

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice.

I went and took my Throttle Body apart.
The valve was stuck a quarter open because of all the carbon accumulation on the walls.
Cleaned it all out (took a good hour), put everything back and reset the limp home spring.
The car started immediately, no excessive revving and no stalling.
The check engine light did not go on.

I had one slight difficulty when dismatling the TB, it was to remove the solenoïd connector. I could not work out how to release the clips. For anybody who is attempting this for the first time there are two notches down the side of the plug, one towards the windscreen and one towards the front of the car which is impossible to see because of the recess. One must put a (very) small flat screwdriver into each notch and pry outwards while pulling on the plug. It should then come off quite easily. Maybe there is another trick to remove the plug that I am not aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.