Oil burning

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil burning

Oil burning

I have a problem with blue smoke but it's not coming from my exhaust, it is coming from under my bonnet, it happens completely at random and can be days or up to 2 weeks between incidents, when it happens if I turn off the engine it stops instantly and I can restart and go days again with no issue, on 1 occasion instead of turning the engine of I revved to around 2000rpm and it eventually cleared up, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Oil burning

Please provide some details of the specific model year and engine........

Apologies, 2010 9-3 TTiD, 175k miles

Saab Afficionado

I was going to guess at a 1.9 diesel......
    You most likely will have a leak on the pipework running from the turbo to the EGR cooler or a leak on the exhaust flexipipe.
    The leaks tend to be more noticeable when the car is doing a regen due the extra injected fuel...hence the intermittent nature.
    Best advice monitor the regen cycle with a bluetooth dongle using the "dpf info" app on android.
    If you switch the engine off during a regen cycle then the car will attempt it again the next time the car is at the correct temp and engine load
    conditions........failed regens are the death of DPF's and increased oil level etc ...not good.

Ok thanks, I've tried the dpf info app but it won't connect to my elm 327 Bluetooth plug-in, I took this picture to show where the oil seems to be leaking, at first I though oil return could be blocked so I removed and checked it and it was clean and clear
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is now smoking permanently, both from under the bonnet at tick over and out of the exhaust under load, could it be crank ventilation?

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Warren&Zoe View Post
    It is now smoking permanently, both from under the bonnet at tick over and out of the exhaust under load, could it be crank ventilation?
    Dont think so...your pic looks like a coolant leak to me running down from above the turbo.
    Re DPF info you need a dongle that supports I think 1.4b run the elm identifier app on the play store it will tell you which protocols yours supports...or buy opcom
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifier&hl=en_GB

Would coolant leak cause blue smoke? Also smells like burning oil, I do have a coolant leak at the back of the engine, it only contains water at the moment as I completely flushed the system because previous owner had filled it with rad-weld

This was the test results, don't fully understand it

Saab Afficionado

Thats a cheap chinese v2.1 and definately wont work...you need all green above 1.4
    It is very hit and miss buying one on Ebay the one below definately will work.(I use it on my car)
    There are plenty around but you need to dig deep to make sure its the correct type before buying
    most of the sellers wont have a clue.
    You need real pic chip and dual board type supporting all protocols up to 1.4

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2019...58f84c4dQZBYtS
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 06-09-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Thank you, I'll try one of those

Ok, update, went to the car this morning and got ' particulate filter full ' message, called RAC out who came and did a regen, he did however worry about the smoke coming from the turbo so aborted the regen halfway through 😠 is it possible the blocked dpf could be the cause of the oil leak due to back pressure and excessive temperature?

Saab Afficionado

Excessive back pressure will prematurely wear the seals in the turbo itself but I would think your leak is elsewhere in the pipework
    which will show up dramatically when doing a regen....shame the guy bottled out.
    If the seals go on the turbo it would be very messy indeed and likely the impellors would be rattling on the housing.
    From your pics it doesnt seem to be coming from the turbo itself.
    You really need to find out what the back pressure contribution is from the DPF ie kpa/bar etc to know for sure.
    Typically from memory its 0-8 or thereabouts as it fills up...going back to 0 again after regen.
    If it was completely blocked the car would be unlikley to run at all.
    Have you checked the oil feed and return lines to the turbos...could be one of those sprung a leak?

Put a post on uksaabs where there are quite a few experienced TTID users.

I think you have more than one issue.....manifold/turbo/dpf
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 06-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks, I've checked return line and that's clear, not checked feed but thinking that could be the culprit as seem to be in that area, how do I check the dpf pressure? Will new elm tell me? Manifold is an issue as it seems to have the wrong gasket and a stud missing so I do get exhaust gases escaping from there, think it possibly has DTH gasket instead of DTR, picture shows part of the gasket between the ports of the manifold with screw holes 🤔

Saab Afficionado

refer to my reply on your other thread
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 06-09-2019 at 06:17 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast