Hi from San Diego!

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Hi from San Diego!

Saab Newbie

Hi from San Diego!

Hey guys I've been here for a while, but never really got to post anything! This forum really answered most of my questions, thanks guys. Well I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 linear. I do have a question that I was wondering about, my radio sometimes work. One day all stations work perfectly, one day it's just static, one day no sound at all. It cycles through this which makes me hard to fix it. I have replaced the ehu, amp under the driver seat, and the areial amplifier. I'm at a loss. Is there a way to use a regular antenna, I want to bypass the areial just to test if the one I bought is defective?

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hi from San Diego!

Hello and a warm welcome aboard the good ship saabscene Shinotheweevil
    dose the radio reception improve when engine is stopped ? Is reception good on AM stations ?
    The aerial is built into the rear screen and the amplifier is on one side of the rear side panels
    the earthing point is under the opposite side trim panel .
    you can bypass it with another aftermarket aerial , I brought one on that well known auction site it takes the place of the shark fin , and is amplified , all you will require is a fraka ( if that spent right ) to aerial din adaptor ( female ) .
    but check earth connections first as that's simple .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Newbie

Thanks for the reply!

How would I check if the earth is bad? Also I'm interested in bypassing it as well, do you have a link on what you did?

Thanks!

Hello here's a link to the one I brought ( uk seller but you will probably find the same type on the US version )
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...cAAOSwB3BaIUgQ
    also a link to my thread about my 9-3 post number 3
    https://www.saabscene.com/forum/thre...ard-t-saab-9-3
    its easy to get old shark fin out , drop rear seats ( give you room) remove cover for 3rd break light it pulls off , there's a trim button in centre of rear headlinging ( turn it 90 degrees and pull out ) drop rear part of headlinging get a touch and you will see the bottom of the shark fin undo bolt and remove from outside of car , to run the wires for the new aerial I got a length of flat plastic ( the top of a length of electrical trunking is good because it's flexible ) then insert it from above front part of headlinging and with a bit of pulling and pushing it gets to the back of the car , tape wires to it and pull them through , ( if you have difficulty then remove rear interior light fitting , it pulls off then there's 2 spring clips and it comes out )
    i ran all 3 wires down behind the A pillar ( disconnect battery , due to airbag , there's a trim button at the top , small screwdriver at front edge and remove , 10 mm bolt behind , remove that and pull at top and pull upwards , for you run them down passenger side and into fuse box , remove glove box and run the through there into where the head unit is ,
    hope that helps
    bit of a long write up , but you probably know you self how to remove certain bits of trim so I apologise for that ,
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard-t View Post
    Hello here's a link to the one I brought ( uk seller but you will probably find the same type on the US version )
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...cAAOSwB3BaIUgQ
    also a link to my thread about my 9-3 post number 3
    https://www.saabscene.com/forum/thre...ard-t-saab-9-3
    its easy to get old shark fin out , drop rear seats ( give you room) remove cover for 3rd break light it pulls off , there's a trim button in centre of rear headlinging ( turn it 90 degrees and pull out ) drop rear part of headlinging get a touch and you will see the bottom of the shark fin undo bolt and remove from outside of car , to run the wires for the new aerial I got a length of flat plastic ( the top of a length of electrical trunking is good because it's flexible ) then insert it from above front part of headlinging and with a bit of pulling and pushing it gets to the back of the car , tape wires to it and pull them through , ( if you have difficulty then remove rear interior light fitting , it pulls off then there's 2 spring clips and it comes out )
    i ran all 3 wires down behind the A pillar ( disconnect battery , due to airbag , there's a trim button at the top , small screwdriver at front edge and remove , 10 mm bolt behind , remove that and pull at top and pull upwards , for you run them down passenger side and into fuse box , remove glove box and run the through there into where the head unit is ,
    hope that helps
    bit of a long write up , but you probably know you self how to remove certain bits of trim so I apologise for that ,
    Thank you so much for this! It's going to help me out a lot! Also, I forgot to mention that even though my fm works once in a while, am doesn't work at all..no sound, nothing. I don't know if this information helps in any way though

7. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements