Locking Wheel Nut Problem

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Locking Wheel Nut Problem

Locking Wheel Nut Problem

Hi all,
    Im new here!
    I have a problem on my Saab 93. The locking wheel nuts are seized up and have snapped the key. I have had two garages try and fail at removing them as apparently they are extremely tight. Does anyone know how to sort this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Locking Wheel Nut Problem

Hello and a warm welcome aboard the good ship saabscene Paul.
    theres 2 ways , number 1 is look on that well known auction site for removal tool and there's quite a few kits available, the one that seems the best is the Dynomec type which if you have the original Saab key ( internal star type pattern ) seems to be the one , used by AA and RAC
    or failing that if you have AA or RAC cover already then they do offer removal but you have to sign a disclaimer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-DYNOM...IAAOSwS7FclltM
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome!
    Looking on the net that Dynomec tool seems quite expensive. I don't actually have AA or RAC cover but i'll call around some local garages to see if they have that Dynomec tool.

I had a seized set on a V70 a couple of years ago and the key was word round. Got a local engineering firm to drill them out. Cost about 50 quid iirc.

Thanks Rich, i have actually just spotted this local company online who i think can help. http://www.lockingwheelnutremovers.co.uk and they appear to be open today! I will give them a call now and see if they can shed some light on this situation.
    Who would have thought that these locking wheel nuts would be such a problem.

I remember when I got my Saab I found a lock key in the glove box which was buggered , but luckily the previous owner had ,had them replaced ,but the old one looked like a tiger had chewed it ,
    but my theory is the days of stealing alloy wheels are over , most theafs thease days steal the whole car .,also locking nuts normally become tight because tyre fitters or the like use windy guns , I normally put 4 normal ones in and tighten up to correct touque and tgen put the locker one on and tighten with the spanner from the cars tool kit ,
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard-t View Post
    I remember when I got my Saab I found a lock key in the glove box which was buggered , but luckily the previous owner had ,had them replaced ,but the old one looked like a tiger had chewed it ,
    but my theory is the days of stealing alloy wheels are over , most theafs thease days steal the whole car .,also locking nuts normally become tight because tyre fitters or the like use windy guns , I normally put 4 normal ones in and tighten up to correct touque and tgen put the locker one on and tighten with the spanner from the cars tool kit ,
    Yeah thats a good point i think i will just put standard nuts on instead of locking wheel nuts. I don't think anyone would want my alloys anyway.

Agreed. I haven't bothered with locking nuts on my Saabs and Volvos since the problem.

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements