Saab 93 Vector 1.9 TTID 2011 Convertable DPF problem

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Saab 93 Vector 1.9 TTID 2011 Convertable DPF problem

Saab Newbie

Saab 93 Vector 1.9 TTID 2011 Convertable DPF problem

Hi,it's my first time posting on this forum so i'll do my best.
    Last Feb(2018) i became the proud owner of a Saab 9-3 Convertable Vector 1.9 TTID 2011 plate.
    This was bought from a dealer and from the start i started having problems. Noticed blue grey smelly smoke from the exhaust and high oil level, so off i went back to the dealer.he gave the excuse it may have been overfilled,he dropped the oil and replaced. Was fine for a few weeks the the car went into limp mode,back to the garage again and the mechanic said it was the DPF that was blocked,he did a forced re-gen. Was then fine for a few month's. Dreaded high oil level and smoke appeared again, could not go back to the dealer as the warranty had run out so took it to our local garage,he dropped the oil and replaced filter. Again fine for a few months then back into limp mode in November. Back to the garage and they removed the DPF for a full clean and also replaced all my glow plugs as they'd had it.I removed the EGR valve ,cleaned and replaced it. End of January oil level high and smoking again so this time( after reading up on loads of forums) i went for a brand new DPF to be fitted as i'd had enough of it being cleaned.Have kept a close eye on the oil level and it does not seem to be rising. Yesterday morning i pop out for the school run and the Particulate Filter Full msg pops up on the dashboard,surely it can't be full after only a month,the car had a good run up to Sheffield last wednesday,70mph all the way there and back.This morning i head off for the usual school run and the msg is still there. I get back turn engine off and re-start...... no warning msg it's disappeared and hasn't been on all day.
    The car in itself runs lovely with plenty of power,the one thing i have noticed there's always been a slight strange smell from the exhaust(very similar to an exhaust burning off smell).
    One thing to add, i had her re-mapped in August.
    Would be grateful of any info you could give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Saab 93 Vector 1.9 TTID 2011 Convertable DPF problem

How many miles on the car?
    What was done regarding the remap,before or after the problems?
    Which aftermarket DPF did you buy?
    Repeated forced regens will damage the catalyst so if this has been going on before you purchased the car it may
    already have been kaput.

Generally the original DPF should last well over 100K if managed correctly ie no failed regens.
    Anyway looks like you havent got to the root cause as groundhog day has resulted.

What has been done to check for other issues as overfuelling (split pipe/intercooler/bad injector/air leak) can cause the DPF to block.

Generally a proper remap would involve disabling the EGR (which helps prevent the DPF blocking) and fixing the swirl flaps.

Invest a few pounds in Opcom that will enable you to monitor all the engine read backs and at least check your injectors
    for fuel correction variance (maybe £15 ebay 1.45/1.59/1.64 I have used)
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 03-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Saab Newbie

Hi,
    Just over 83k on clock,the re-map was a performance increase map(higher hp now),nothing else has been checked but my local garage did notice some damage to the casing around one of the injectors and it had been repaired with liquid metal. It looks like someone has tried to remove the injector but ended up cracking the case. The Dpf was bought from one of our members of my club as he owns Motor shop so i got a good discount,£240 + vat

Saab Afficionado

Well you need to find the reason why the DPF is blocking up....rather than keep doing the same thing and praying.
    Could be any of the reasons noted above.
    Check injectors and get a vacuum test done on the inlet to see if you have a leak on the intercooler....both should be trivial for a decent garage.
    Not all the aftermarket DPF's are any good especially the cheaper Cordierite types,they need to be at least the more expensive Silicon Carbide type and they are not cheap.
    The cheaper filters also give higher back pressures due to the smaller pore sizes and use less catalyst....a few forced regens and they are toast.
    If you are motivated get screenshots of the readbacks (also when driving) and you should be able to get some feedback especially from the Vectra/Insignia forums that
    have good knowledge of the Z19DTX engines.
    You could also upload the map on the ECU (cheap MPPS cable plugs into OBD2 port) and have someone with the experience to look at it to see if that is the problem.
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 03-12-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Saab Newbie

Thankyou will give you suggestions a try,got a holiday coming soon and will order the opcom when i get back. Thanks again for your help.

7. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements