Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

dreaded electric window problem

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nickharman 
#1 ·
hi all its my first post so please be gentle I have a 2005 9-3 saab convertible front windows wont work rear ok when operating the roof the windows go down and stay down will not go up, will only go up when shutting the hood, please give me a few pointers of where to start thanks guys

#2 ·
So your rear windows work fine with the switches, but the front ones only go down and up when you raise or lower your top and hold the button accordingly? Since the rear switches work, that would seem to eliminate a ground wire problem. It sounds like the problem must be in the switch itself. I'd probably remove the switch from the door, find the front window wires, and jump them together to make sure the front windows work from there. Assuming they do, it's time for a new switch assembly.

#3 ·
I took out the centre console switch box and found it a) full of muck b) that the metal contacts on the most used windows, the fronts, had worn to the point they were making poor contact. It's worth reversing the contacts to bring the unused ones into play (dont worry this does not reverse the action!) or swapping a rear window switch for the front. This of course only transfers the problem but at least your most used window will work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.