Timing Chain & Water pump change?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Timing Chain & Water pump change?

Timing Chain & Water pump change?

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anybody has an idea's for me re this problem Im having.

Did my first long road trip a few weeks ago( 1800kms) and things went very well, however I have now noticed a very high pitch noise which sounds like its coming from the engine on passenger side?. At first I thought it was electrical(feedback) as it seemed to be coming from the speakers but I quickly figured it wasn't this. Its not the a/c or fans either as there was a weird squeaking coming from the fan when it was on very low, stops when switched off. It seems to happen with higher revs when accelerating and I don't think its turbo. The cars now got 203k kms on now so no spring chicken, and after doing some reading I suspect it could be timing chain? When I bought the car it didn't have a service history book so I have no idea if this has ever been changed as well as the water pump. Any advise or suggestions please

Thank guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Newbie

Re: Timing Chain & Water pump change?

Hi Viggen,

What points you to either, apart from reading about issues? The online experience is full of what "COULD" go wrong. I would try to locate where first, before diving in.

My backyard experience (read non-professional). Apparently, chains are pretty good, water pumps not. My diesel water pump (belt driven) is considered must replace before 100k, some online say 60k. I replaced everything to do with the belt at 120k (on my then new purchase) as there was no history of it being done (only the recommendation). To me, it all looked, measured, and felt nearly new. I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing.
    Last edited by Tones9-3; 02-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Hi Tones

Thanks for the feedback mate.

After the long trip I noticed this noise....cant say I've noticed it before but I'm slightly paranoid about the old girl and so did some reading online as you pointed out and based on what I found its leaning towards this prob.

I'll take your advice and dig further so I'll take her to my local SAAB guy, he's good but not the cheapest but everything they have done for me so far has worked out well.

Think I'll get the chain and water pump fixed tho to be sure, after all the cars 11 years old now and with no service history Ive no idea what's been done previously.

Thanks again

Saab Newbie

I've re-read what you've said, and bear with me, forums/online etc are full of peoples opinions. Which are not neccesarily correct(unless they come from cjpeterborough or lizzard.
    So, saying that I'm going to join in, with an opinion )
    When I was first looking at getting my first SAAB, one of the "faults" to look for was the large diameter hose on the LHD passenger side of the engine, that runs from front to rear. I'm going on memory now, so don't shoot me. This hose I think is turbo related (and I'm not sure which engine), but apparrently this hose is reknowned for perishing. If you feel underneath this hose out-of-sight, it splits. Hence, high pitched noise which is RPM related.
    My tuppence!

Hi Tones

Thanks again mate, I had the timing belt and water pump changed yesterday and the noise is still there so it wasn't that. However, my guys at SAAB said the chain/pump were changed 5 years old using original SAAB part so whoever had the car before me was looking after her. Other than that they said everything else looked fine.

Will defo investigate this hose you mentioned, sounds like that. Does this hose have a technical name mate and any idea how easy it would be to replace?

Cheers
    Last edited by Viggendriver; 03-08-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Saab Newbie

Apologies for my late reply. My on-going assumptions. I assume you are in Oz or NZ with the use of "mate".
    What is your model & engine type? Technical name = big rubber hose!!??
    Again my diesel, standing on the passenger side, left-hand front wheel. The hose is about 2 1/4" or 55mm diameter (depending on how swollen/perished it is), runs from below & behind the radiators to the back of the cylinder head. Sits between the battery-box & the engine. Very accessible/easy to get your fingers around underneath to feel for any sponginess/splits.

Hi Tones, im from Manchester UK and we use mate just like the Aussies and Kiwis.... prob more to be fair but now living in Poland for the pst 9 years. Ive got a 2008 9-3 1.9 TTID Diesel combi/estate LHD. Will have a rummage round when I get some time. Thanks for your help again.

Hello viggendriver if it's the TTID you are on about they have cam belts not chains so as a rule of thumb Saab stated cambelt be changed every 75000 miles , but in my old rule book that's pushing it so I go 40.000 miles or 4 years ,
    seeing as there is no service history or book then I would be inclined to get it changed along with the waterpump, tensioner and auxrilly belt
    no if the noise is comming from passenger side (polish style ) drivers side ( uk ) then that's the front of the engine , the noise could be the auxrilly drive belt tensioner ( I say could be )
    there is a way to illuminate that , and that is to remove the auxrilly belt and see if the noise disappears .just one last thing , it's not expensive to have the cambelt / waterpump/ tensioner replaced , and it guards against possible terminal engine damage ,
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements