No bass from any speakers unless played at high volume

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: No bass from any speakers unless played at high volume

Saab Newbie

No bass from any speakers unless played at high volume

2007 Saab 93 2.0T with 150 Watt 7 Speaker Audio System.

Hello all and as the name may suggest, I am finally reunited with my beloved 93 after being on a work assignment overseas for two years!

In any event my younger brother has been driving and taking care of my car since I've been away and told me last month about an issue with the sound system. Having gotten back two weeks ago, I've been messing with this issue in the little spare time I have to no avail.

Here is the issue. All seven (or at least four) speakers have lost all bass and much of mids. Two doors and the rear speakers do not produce any bass at normal listening level. Maxing out the bass via tuner and listening at low/normal level does produce a sort or "blown speaker sound" when the bass hits but the treble (while weaker than normal) sounds fine and does not crackle or anything of the sort. Odd part is (as noted in troubleshooting section of this , if I turn my volume around 50+%, the bass returns to the rear speakers and drivers side door, but not passenger side door speaker. It does still crackle from drivers side though although less audible.

Thinking it was assuredly the amplifier, I replaced it with another used stock Saab one today and still nothing. Before taking apart the entire dash and looking for something I'm not even sure of, I was really hoping someone here could lend some insight as I am no electrical guy and these things often see me just paying someone to fix it but monies a bit tight right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd be more than happy to Venmo some coffee money to anyone that leads me to a solution for their time as I feel bad dropping into this Forum a new member and immediately asking for help.

What I've done to troubleshoot so far (and the odd things):
    -Tested all speakers (except dash mounted ones as these work) with multimeter and seem to be functioning at the correct ohms.
    -Played with faders and the front drivers side door speaker is the only one that has a crackle sound when bass comes on.
    -When volume is turned up high, the front drivers side door speaker regains most of its bass but has that same crackle sound. When I do this and then fade all the sound to the back rear speakers, there is no bass, but as soon as I fade it towards the front, the rear speakers regain their normal bass response.
    -Fading the sound (left to right) to the the front passenger side one does not produce any bass at all. Putting my ear near it, I do here very faint vocals though and seems to remain static no matter how loud I place the volume.
    -All 3 dash speakers are functioning as I originally mentioned.

additional clues: my brother said that during his normal, albeit obsessed, podcast listening he encountered a repetitive noise that sounded like someone was tapping the end of a microphone and some static from the front top shelf left speaker a couple of times back in December and January and he proceeded those occasions to turn off the stereo until he got where he was going as turning it off an on did nothing when it happened. He said after letting the car sit for a little, it was fine again. I was able to encounter this recently as well.Sound Sample of Static
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bh4..._sQp6Y56A/view

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: No bass from any speakers unless played at high volume

it could be an issue with the H/U..does the 07 have rear door speakers..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Saab Newbie

Hey aero, thanks for your reply and no, mine does not. It has two rear shelf speakers (with room for two more), two front door speakers and three dash speakers. Based on everything, I'm sort of thinking it could be the headunit as I am doubting it's the amp. Based on everything that's happened and what is happening, would it be possible for a short in a speaker to cause the symptoms I'm experiencing?

in that case the only speakers that produce bass/sub bass are the door speakers..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Saab Newbie

Does anyone have a link or could direct me where to find an audio wiring diagram for a MY07+ Saab 93 2.0T? Dedicating time this to week to tackle this problem and before buying a used Headunit, wanted to make sure as best I can that its not a wiring issue as I did notice dampness on the front passenger side foot well after driving in fairly heavy rain which I also need to chase down how that even happened.

MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Newbie

AMAZING FIND lizzard! thanks so much as I had looked very where for a diagram and couldnt find anything that made sense for my MY. Never thought about hunting for the WIS.

Motor Mouth

Which dash do you have, as they changed over between 56 and 57 plate cars, so you could have one or the other. If it is the pre-facelift dash, where the radio either has no display, a small green screen display, or the colour satnav display, then you may have an EHU issue. The actual EHU sits behind the climate control panel on top of the CD player.

I have the 7 speaker set up with the green screen and I have an intermittent problem where there is sometimes no sound from the radio or indicators, and the CD player only plays through the dash speakers, It was suggested this could be a problem with the amp under the front seat, but as you have already swapped that and not fixed your issue, I'd look at the EHU and connections to it, especially with the mic tapping noises you are getting. Sounds like a loose connection, possibly?
    Last edited by smcf; 05-16-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Saab Newbie

Apologies to the forum for being tardy with my resolution to this.

After replacing the Amp - no dice
    After replacing the Headunit - no dice (more on this in a new thread)
    After replacing the two door speakers ..... ALL FIXED.

The tech at this new shop I (now) go to was convinced after listening that it was the speakers although we did try swapping in the EHU since I was there to do that. No dice on the EHU so that narrowed it down to the speakers as he said hed never seen my MY07 93 have any fault in the wiring that would result in my situation in his 15 years working on Saabs. Sure enough, he was right.

To my defense, he did say it was extremely rare to have both speakers go out in the manner they did without provocation which he thinks means that there was a subtle surge in voltage that combined with the age and my own listening habits, happened at just the right moment when I plugged in my AUX that it basically ended their life.

A couple lessons learned: Just because you get measurable Ohms in a speaker does NOT mean it is NOT blown or otherwise functional. If your situation is exactly like mine, it is unlikely to be the amp or the EHU if you get some some sound from at least one door speaker and same goes for dash speakers. There are no wires under any of the foot wells.
    Last edited by Reunited; 07-09-2018 at 08:44 PM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements