Flat Battery and Locked Out

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Flat Battery and Locked Out

Flat Battery and Locked Out

I left my lights on over night on my 1993 Saab 93.

Awoke to a flat battery and none of the locks are working. I've tried both driver and passenger door as well as the boot / trunk.

I've looked up this problem on other Saab forums and some people have had luck lubricating the locks and repeatedly trying to manually unlock the door.

I've tried this with some WD40 with no luck. Phoned a few locksmiths and they think I'll either have to smash the window or take the lock apart.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Flat Battery and Locked Out

Some have success putting jump leads on the starter/earth or alternator/earth.
    Obviously you need to jack up the car to access.
    Other option is coat hanger pushed through the door seal levering the door slightly option and picking up the snib...

An automotive electrician I knew had this problem with a Merc. He introduced 12v across the number plate light terminals which gave enough power to fire the central locking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's interesting.

What would I have to use as a power supply? Bear in mind I'm nowhere near a mains power supply.

Saab Newbie

Another car battery via a set of jump leads?

Saabisti

I`m not sure the lights trick will work since the bulbs are surely on the other side of a relay as the battery and therefore the rest of the electronics.

The Merc might have had it's lights on the CAN-BUS but these older card won't.

I think your best bet is with what CJ suggested.

Frank.

Saabisti

This may help:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDkTYLTAJUw

It's a Merc!!!! but it give a good idea as to what to try.

Frank.

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by king of anglia View Post
    That's interesting.

What would I have to use as a power supply? Bear in mind I'm nowhere near a mains power supply.
    Wouldnt recommend you plug your car into the mains 240V AC...unless its one of the new Saab hybrids! :-)

You could try calling a towing company that will deal in lockouts. They have devices that let them sneak in and manually pull up the lock mechanism.

Saab Newbie

Couple of suggestions:
    1) Do you have a tow bar fitted on the car, if so, how many connections are there in the plug ?
    If it's only for a 7 - pin plug, then go no further as all 7 pins are associated with switched lighting circuits (what we're looking for is a connection that directly feeds from the battery, typically what caravan towbars have for example, to feed the caravan fridge while parked up)
    if you do have a caravan type tow bar and you know that it's fully wired up then google a wiring diagram for the tow bar to identify which pin is the permanent (un-switched) feed, and you have a means available to feed 12 volts into your battery, via a spare battery or another vehicle - it's effectively the same as a jump start except you're not actually starting - all youre trying to do is get some power into your car...leave the donor battery connected for a minute or so, until you see the red alarm LED blinking away merrily on your dash, leave it connected while you get the car door open and once you've done that, safely disconnect the donor battery.
    You'll need donor battery, jump leads, a metre or so of bog standard domestic 2.5 mm twin & earth cable.
    Separate the cable cores from inside the outer insulation , and at one end, strip about 3 inches of insulation from both cable cores for your jump leads clamps to have something to securely bite on.
    At one of the other ends of the 2.5 cable, strip about 1 inch of insulation. Using needle nosed pliers, fold the bare core over into a 'V' shape, which you can insert into the correct socket on the towbar wiring connector. That will ultimately be connected to the POSITIVE terminal of the donor battery.
    On the other 2.5 mm core, strip about 1 inch or so and (assuming you've correctly identify which pin in the tow area connector is GROUND), then make another 'V' and insert it into the GROUND socket in the towbar connector (alternatively, you can fish around to get a good GROUND connection on the car's metalwork - wire brush maybe to clean up metal)

NOTE : ITS IMPORTANT TO ENSURE THAT ALL POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE WIRING, JUMP LEAD CLAMPS ETC ARE KEPT WELL APART FROM EACH OTHER. ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT WILL RESULT AND AS IT IS A DIRECT, UNFUSED CONNECTION THAT IS BEING USED, NO ELECTRICAL PROTECTION IS AVAILABLE AND HIGH CURRENT LEVELS IN A SHORT CIRCUIT SITUATION CAN BE DANGEROUS

NOTE ONLY MAKE THE FINAL CONNECTION TO THE DONOR BATTERY WHEN YOU ARE SATISFIED THAT ALL RISK OF SHORT CIRCUIT HAS BEEN ELIMINATED....DOUBLE CHECK !!

If the tow are option is not available to you, then as previously suggested by others, getting under the car to access the starter motor connection is the next option you have.
    i don't know which car you have, but you may well find that it can be easier to access the alternator output connection. It's basically part of the same cable you'd be trying to attach to on the starter motor. See attached picture for what the alternator connection should look like.
    Whichever method you use, exactly the same notes as above, apply.
    SHORT CIRCUITS ARE DANGEROUS !!!

good luck, hope you get in without locksmith etc

IMG_7666.JPG

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements