2006 9-3 aero - power steering issue?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: 2006 9-3 aero - power steering issue?

2006 9-3 aero - power steering issue?

Just bought a 9-3 aero a stunning car & the second Saab I have owned! I had the previous one a 9-3 arc for 9 years! The current car has full service history a 12 month MOT and has been cared for by previous owner. The car drives beautifully but has what I would describe as a very intermittent loss of power steering in low speed turns?

Would welcome suggestions as to possible cause.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2006 9-3 aero - power steering issue?

Hmmm..I have had the same effect occasionally on my 9-3. Mine's a 2007 V6, the issue has only occured if i have been through a decent puddle then tried to negotiate a slow speed bend. I put it down to a bit of belt slippage giving momentary loss of assistance. Not so noticable at speed as less assistance is required perhaps?

I have been more circumspect when negotiating water and the problem has not reapeared.

Are we talking about the steering going tight or a bit lumpy or the engine output having issues at low speeds ?

1st thing to do is to check that there is sufficient power steering fluid..
    If not you will need a specific type which I think I ordered off Amazon..
    When I first bought my car I drained/ flushed and replaced my power steering fluid (Yes Really!).
    Power is How hard you hit the wall.....
    Torque is How far you take the wall with you !

MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

On mine the assistance just disappeared for a couple of seconds (seemed like an age) but engine ok. Very disconcerting!!!
    Fluid etc all ok as well.

You may have a wee air bubble in the system .... Most efficient way to shift the air is to lift the front off the ground.... Start the motor & turn from lock to lock say 5 times ...... If that hasn't fixed it ....... It ain't a simple airlock

9. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements