2008 9-3 Pulling to the right

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: 2008 9-3 Pulling to the right

Saab Newbie

2008 9-3 Pulling to the right

Hi there, my car is in a spot of bother and I'm hoping the combined knowledge of you people can help me get it fixed!

The damn thing just won't go in a straight line! It keeps pulling to the right. Say I'm driving on a lovely smooth, dry, camber free motorway. Sounds perfect right? Wrong. If I lighten my hand on the wheels, only slightly, the wheel immediately moves about 5° to the right.

Tracking!!! (I hear you say). Wrong. I popped down to my local Saab indy and he had a crack at it. The wheel was no longer centered. I returned pretty unhappy and he had another crack. Still not right.

Still unconvinced on the tracking job, I popped down to another garage with laser tracking and shizzle. It's still not right.

So to sum up:
    - The steering wheel insists on moving to the right.
    - I'm fairly convinced there is more resistance turning left than there is turning right.

Any good ideas?

Car is Saab 9-3, late 2007, Aero 2.8

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2008 9-3 Pulling to the right

Hello , when you had it laser tracked did you get a print out of the before and after results ?
    What tyres are you running on the car at the moment ? .
    Have you tried swapping tyres front to back or side to side to eliminate wether it's tyres , or something else .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Hi, for starters
    Tyre pressures
    delaminating tyre(s)
    wrong tryre weight rating
    worn track rod end(s)
    worn steering rack
    Damaged wheel
    bent suspension or worn balljoints

We do not stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

Saab Newbie

Thanks for the replies!

- I did indeed get a print out at the laser tracking! All is well.
    - Currently running 35PSI all round. (did try 40PSI to no avail)

To double check any problems with tyres, I swapped all the right tyres with all the left tyres (kept them on the same axle). No luck. It still behaved the same.

They are cheap, nasty budget jobs that got put on the car when I bought it. Cant remember the brand. Didn't have this problem before though!

The car hasn't had any severe knocks - could any components get bent from fairly light use?

Saab Afficionado

Have you checked the front springs? Weak point on the 9-3.
    If you have few axle stands basic alignment can be easily checked
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXAcXoaUQg&t=333s

Did this myself recently and was more or less spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by cjapeterborough View Post
    Have you checked the front springs? Weak point on the 9-3.
    If you have few axle stands basic alignment can be easily checked
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXAcXoaUQg&t=333s

Did this myself recently and was more or less spot on.
    good point, broken front spring - known weak point. track rod ends still a contender whilst jacked up move the wheel side to side and see if there any play in them.

We do not stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

Theres a lot to be said for a monkey hanging on a bar ..... The kinda stuff they do at MOT's ...... The steering geometry can be polaxed by many minor things & many major ones too ... This needs looking at by a "Engineer" as against somone who just loves selling parts ....... "This could get dear" :/

Saab Newbie

Cheers guys, I'll check a couple of these bits out at the weekend and report back.

Saab Newbie

Apologies for the long gap!

So I ended up taking the car to Neobrothers in the UK. They quickly established a collapsed front shock absorber AND (apparently) a incorrect spring fitted during a previous replacement. I ended up having both shock absorbers and springs replaced along with a couple of bushes at a price of ~£1000!!!!! Ouch.

The car does now go in a straight line though!

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by ajstan View Post
    Apologies for the long gap!

So I ended up taking the car to Neobrothers in the UK. They quickly established a collapsed front shock absorber AND (apparently) a incorrect spring fitted during a previous replacement. I ended up having both shock absorbers and springs replaced along with a couple of bushes at a price of ~£1000!!!!! Ouch.

The car does now go in a straight line though!
    That's pretty extreme 'Ouch'!!!

Not sure why I didn't notice this thread before, but the symptoms you described in your first post, I had exactly the same type of issues, car kept pulling to the right. I however decided to take the plunge and do the job myself. I did mine in March 2014, bought a pair of Bilstein B4's from Neo's, the correct genuine Saab springs for the diesel 1.9 from Saabtech, new top mounts and rubber bellows from VauxhallWorldParts, new top mount bearings from Buckingham and Stanley and Meyle heavy duty droplinks from a supplier on the famous auction site. All of the parts cost me around £360 and of course my time cost me nothing. When I disassembled the front right strut, it became immediately apparent that my factory fit shock had collapsed after just 32k miles! Front right spring was badly pitted too.

I had Hunter laser tracking done last year, cost me £60. It was all over the place. All fixed and never had any issues since.

As for the tyres, well some don't like them because they complain they're harsh, but I use Extra Load tyres these days. Makes a huge difference in cornering. Turns a boat into something that sits on rails.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements