Sat Nav upgrade - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat Nav upgrade

Re: Sat Nav upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by c2kev View Post
    I disconnected the rear parcel shelf speakers and fitted Vibe BlackAir 6x9s in the empty existing holes. I get some decent bass without a sub
    Thanks Kev.. A couple more questions please.
    1. Did you use the standard wires to your 6 x 9's or did you have to wire them all the way to the front head unit?

2. I assume you need some sort of wiring adaptor to fit the new head unit? And to make the steering buttons "see" the new head unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saabisti

Hmmmmm whatever powers the rears it isn’t a lot the 6x9s are a bit better but not what I expected.

If it is the amp I suppose replacing the head unit isn’t going to make much difference but if it’s the head unit the change could be massive.

Kev did you say just changing the head unit made a big difference? Had you already put the 6x9s in?

Might get some replacement’s for the dash when I do it Alpine SXE-0825s are about £30
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by sspeed View Post
    Thanks Kev.. A couple more questions please.
    1. Did you use the standard wires to your 6 x 9's or did you have to wire them all the way to the front head unit?

2. I assume you need some sort of wiring adaptor to fit the new head unit? And to make the steering buttons "see" the new head unit?
    1. All standard wiring used

2. Wiring and fascia kit https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/saab...ol-aerial.html

yes the biggest difference came when I change the headunit, the 6x9s were fitted weeks before and only made it a little better. I am no expert but I guess the newer headunit sends a better signal to the amp than standard.

The factory fitted amp in the boot only sends mid/high frequencies to the rear shelf speakers so they are never going to produce big bass. All the low/bass signals are sent to the front door speakers. even if I fade the sound to the rear speakers only, the bass still comes from the front doors

Saabisti

Might be worth working out which outputs from the head unit are to the amp for the rear speakers only (assuming the amp does do the rear speakers) and wire the head unit direct to the 6x9s to see what it’s like.
    Always run the wires properly inside if its better which it might be if its filtered and the amp isn’t that powerful.
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

That was my plan but im happy as it is now. If i was to run wires to the back end now, they would be phono leads for a 4 channel amp to run the 6x9s and a decent subwoofer. I would then run just the dash/door speakers from the standard amp

Quote Originally Posted by richfr View Post
    Might be worth working out which outputs from the head unit are to the amp for the rear speakers only (assuming the amp does do the rear speakers) and wire the head unit direct to the 6x9s to see what it’s like.
    Always run the wires properly inside if its better which it might be if its filtered and the amp isn’t that powerful.
    This is the sticker on the back of the original stereo

Saabisti

Quote Originally Posted by c2kev View Post
    That was my plan but im happy as it is now. If i was to run wires to the back end now, they would be phono leads for a 4 channel amp to run the 6x9s and a decent subwoofer. I would then run just the dash/door speakers from the standard amp
    When I get a head unit will temporarily run wires to the speakers and see the difference before I fit it properly.
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

Saabisti

Just an update on this I have just rewired my rear 6x9s direct to the head unit and the difference is huge night and day difference.
    I would recommend you do this if you change to 6x9s its worth the effort.
    Will also change the door speakers get some decent 2 way and wire them direct to the head unit.
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

Regular Saab Guy

I'm selling my Kenwood DNX7150 DAB which includes wiring and facia - see classifieds. Was asking £400 but now just want to get rid of it, so any offers considered.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12