Main Beam Mystery

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Main Beam Mystery

Saab Junior

Main Beam Mystery

Hi There,

I don't know if anybody can help me with my problem.

I just changed the heater rad as it had been leaking but when I took it for a test ride, although the heater was fine, I noticed my main beam was not working. I had spare relays which I swapped and made no difference but as they were old ones, I checked the solder connections and they looked fine.

I've just checked all around the blower uint to see if there were any connectors I'd broken or disturbed and then I got my meter out.

The checking at the dip switch, it appears to work.

Looking at what wiring diagrams I can find, it seems that the high beam is activated by an earth condition being extended by the dip switch to the S tag on the red headlamp relay. I am measuring for this earth and it does arrive but only about 3-4 volts-worth.

Does anyone know if this is enough? Or if there is anywhere in-between that I can break in to check?

I don't want to buy more relays that I suspect will make no difference but I'm also reluctant to go hacking into the wiring loom though I fear that is where I'm heading.

When the relays gave trouble before they were intermittent but this fault is "permanent" for want of a better word and the car is a 1997 2.0 CSE Auto anniversary.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Terry

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: Main Beam Mystery

Terry,

Pretty sure it will be down to either the BIG RED or adjacent Orange relay. These are generally to blame for lighting ( and other ) problems in the 9000.

I you put your location in your profile then someone close to you could offer help. As you can see, I am in Kippen, Stirling and have, perhaps a dozen of these for test by substitution.

Paul @ Kippen.

Saabisti

If it's anything like the 9-5, you'll just need to open up the big orange relay and re-solder the contacts to the pins. It's pretty easy to do.

Frank.

Saab Junior

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll keep you posted.

Saab Junior

Hi Folks,

I think I've cracked it.

The dip-switch is supposed to extend a earth/ground condition through to tag S on the red control relay to bring the main beam on. By poking about with my meter, I managed to localise the missing condition to the red/white wire between the dip-switch and the multi-connector in the engine bay behind the left hand headlamp. I broke into the loom just inside the false bulkhead and it was proving back to the multi-connector and with a bit of tugging, a break in the wire revealed itself about four inches back from the connector. I pieced a bit of similar wire in to make up for the re-joins and made good with a few twist and solder joints covered by shrink-sleeving.

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for the guidance.

Cheers
    Terry

Thank you for updating your thread , and that it came to a happy conclusion.
    Goes to show these cars are sent to try us in more ways than one .
    Happy new year to you terry .
    Paul .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements