HELP ..Air Intake problem

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP ..Air Intake problem

HELP ..Air Intake problem

Hi,

My 93 tid150 starting lacking power and not pulling in low revs but kicked on at 2000rpm as before, now the eml has come on. The garage checked for a fault and got `air intake problem`(sorry don`t know code number) and after a full day at the garage they`re still at a loss as to what`s causing it. They have removed the front end and checked all day looking for even a pinhole somewhere in a hose, given up, to start again tomorrow.
    I`m getting a call from them tomorrow after they start afresh on the problem.
    In the meantime, if anyone is able to offer a possible cause please do.....

Thanks
    Dont measure your life by how many breaths you take......but by how many times your breath is taken away

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: HELP ..Air Intake problem

we need to know the code..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

The code is P2279
    Dont measure your life by how many breaths you take......but by how many times your breath is taken away

Saab Afficionado

I believe the code quoted refers to Intake Air System leak.

You haven't stated what actions the garage took when they 'investigated' the issue. I'd start with the EGR valve, take it off, check for cleanliness. Then the MAP sensor. Then I'd have a look at the MAF sensor, though if you take this off and decide it needs cleaning, only use an approved MAF sensor cleaner otherwise you may damage it.

Then start looking for split hoses, particularly the vacuum hose, intercooler hoses and even the intercooler itself. The problems you are having, might only surface when the engine has reached full operating temperature.

Also, check around the throttle body for signs of leakage.

All of these checks are within the capabilities of any competent vehicle owner. If you need any pointers, youtube and google are your friends.

even though the MAP sensor is located in the inlet manifold,it gets all crudded up,take it out an clean it,with carb /electrical contact cleaner leave it to dry..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Thanks Caddyman and aerojon, I`ll pass these possible fixes to my guy at the garage although he seems pretty clued up and has checked the intercooler and all associated hoses etc and is as frustrated as I am!
    Will let you know how things pan out and thanks for sharing info

Ok, swirl flaps all working apparently and garage now thinking problem must be at inlet manifold but warned me that it's a long job getting fuel pump and other bits and bobs out of the way just to get there to have a look, getting the car back from them today. Should I mention maf and map sensors to them first?

Forgot to include maf and map sensor problems ruled out by garage as they say this would show as a more specific fault code on their diagnosis software

Saab Afficionado

Absolutely! MAP sensor first. Two minute job to remove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-Pm3BhIJw

Then MAF sensor, though I doubt the issue will be there.

Then EGR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV-GcP5tol8

Once they start getting at the inlet manifold, the cost will clearly rise. Check and sort the easy stuff first.....You can do these jobs yourself. Just wear gloves because that carbon crap takes ages to wash off!

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by oscarshep View Post
    Forgot to include maf and map sensor problems ruled out by garage as they say this would show as a more specific fault code on their diagnosis software
    Mmmm, well did they actually bother to take them out and have a look?

No they didn't! I trust them but tempted to have a go myself when the car is returned before they(maybe) get it back
    Thanks

Saab Afficionado

I think sometimes, there's a bit too much reliance on diagnostics alone. EGR and MAP sensor should really be bread and butter checks for mechanics working on this engine. Indeed any Saab/Fiat/Vauxhall/Alfa owner with this engine, should familiarise themselves with the EGR/MAP removal and cleaning procedure. I do my own every six months. If like me you have a spare EGR, this job takes just 20 minutes from start to finish swapping them over and then you can clean your spare EGR at your leisure and then chuck it in the boot as a hot spare.

Saab Afficionado

Just to clarify, the guy in the youtube videos in the links I posted mentioned about a missing gasket from the EGR valve after he split it removing the four screws that join the two halves together. I just want to make it clear, there is NO gasket that sit between the two halves. I have two genuine Pierburg EGR's, one made in 2007 and one made in 2011, neither have a gasket.

pic of astra diesel map sensor...notice all the crud..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buy cheap pay twice..

I use BP ultimate and have done for the last 40,000 miles.....would I still get enough crud building up to cause the issue in this thread and get a map sensor similar to the pic in the previous post?
    I naively assumed using BP ultimate would have avoided these deposits. I suppose there could have been deposits when I got the car 40,000 ago and a small, additional build up over time has taken it to a problem level ?
    Getting EGR and both sensors done soon will update the thread after that....everything crossed !

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast