Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Audio system upgrade/change, is there a definitive guide?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cjapeterborough 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2007 Facelift 95 wagon and I find that there is sporadic and vague information regarding installing a double DIN head unit into this model.
There's a lot of information and how-to guides for the pre-2005 models but not for the 2005-2009 versions.

If anyone out there knows their way around the wiring and options etc. my questions are:

1) Are all double DIN head units compatible or is there a specific brand/model that's particularly more suited to the 95?
2) I think I see an amp under A pillar on drivers side (RHD vehicle) but am not sure as I don't know what exact system is in my car.
3) Is there an off the shelf CAN BUS interface to make the steering wheel controls function or are there different ones depending on which after market head unit I choose?
4) I've seen mention of an antenna amplifier that must be powered and extra wiring is needed - apparently it's in the rear window pillars?
5) I've seen mention of the antenna connector used in the 95 being different to what's presented on the back of after market head units & an adapter is needed?
6) When it comes to a sub, my car audio has fantastic bass and superb volume but I cannot find a sub anywhere! Where do they hide it?
7) Most head units I've seen present pre-out on 2 RCA connectors, but my car has at least 7 speakers that I'm aware of so how does this all work out?
8) Is the double DIN faceplate kit perfect for all head units? I've seen mention of 6.8" vs 7.0" screens and the latter "sticking out" etc.

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide and if anyone has pictures or a step-by-step guide for the dame edna 95 estate that'd be wonderful.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hopefully you can see my replies below...at least its a start.

Hi,
I have an MY08 9-5 and fitted a single din Pioneer DAB unit last year...but a double din would easily fit and wiring etc would be certainly the same.

1) Are all double DIN head units compatible or is there a specific brand/model that's particularly more suited to the 95?..........No any should fit but you will need the faceplate/housing etc
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT23SA02-Saab-9-5-2005-On-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-Fascia-Facia-Panel/171525626032?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Df041b19d6f464827acafc72b0e943b7f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D380440838902

2) I think I see an amp under A pillar on drivers side (RHD vehicle) but am not sure as I don't know what exact system is in my car........
You will need an amp pass through adaptor to sort out the level controls otherwise you can use preouts but will only have the front speakers working(thats what I tried first).In the end I used an iso connector for a cadillac as a cheap solution with the by pass adaptor.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects-2-ctamppassthrough-lead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chevrolet-SAAB-9-5-ISO-Radio-Plug-Adapter-Auto-Wiring-Cable-Stereo-Harness-UK-/371272260288?hash=item56718d1ac0:g:G9gAAOSw~1FUWynN

3) Is there an off the shelf CAN BUS interface to make the steering wheel controls function or are there different ones depending on which after market head unit I choose?
Be careful as the resistance ladders changed on the 9-5 across the year models I purchased an adpator from connects2 and had to return it. I was forced to the use the above iso cableand lived without the steering wheel control.You can buy an expensive custom type adaptor which you can adjust (thread over at Saabcentral)...will update this when I find it again.But cost v benefit didnt work for me.

4) I've seen mention of an antenna amplifier that must be powered and extra wiring is needed - apparently it's in the rear window pillars? ........Well you dont touch that simply buy a fakra adaptor for the aerial and use that for FM.I added a 2nd Dab aerial and fixed it near the shark aerial to run independantly.
5) I've seen mention of the antenna connector used in the 95 being different to what's presented on the back of after market head units & an adapter is needed?
As above http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-100-F...hash=item3cb552ae51:m:mrFrlNCj1trMt7jUFT7wPZw

6) When it comes to a sub, my car audio has fantastic bass and superb volume but I cannot find a sub anywhere! Where do they hide it? I have the Estate and it is in the rear on the RHS dont know about the saloon.

7) Most head units I've seen present pre-out on 2 RCA connectors, but my car has at least 7 speakers that I'm aware of so how does this all work out?..... As above you need the bypass or completely rewire from an appropriate headunit or preamp.Even with the bypass adaptor I am not convinced all the speakers work now but the sound is good enough for me...it was decent DAB I really wanted

8) Is the double DIN faceplate kit perfect for all head units? I've seen mention of 6.8" vs 7.0" screens and the latter "sticking out" etc...... Cant comment on that but have seen mention myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.