Steering wheel upgrade

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Steering wheel upgrade

Saab Afficionado

Steering wheel upgrade

Today, I changed my standard factory fit steering wheel for a brand new Saab Aero 3 chrome wheel. £100 and 30 minutes of my time, but it's made me smile!

IMG_1144.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Steering wheel upgrade

MR Caddyman Sir that is a very nice sterring wheel ........ I want one ! . And that head unit it looks very lovely .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Afficionado

'Ave soma dat! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-3-A...8AAOSwpDdVcbHi

I want some Hirsch door handles now tho.......

are the buttons and airbag a straight swap? I was bidding on one a few weeks ago but missed the end of the auction and it sold for £75

Saab Afficionado

Yes, well it certainly was in my case. I bought the wheel at some risk because I couldn't be 100 percent sure that the wiring would be the same on my Caddy. Thankfully everything under the airbag was identical.

Obviously anyone wanting to do this, disconnect battery negative before you start any work. I watched a youtube vid of a guy whipping out the airbag and rather bizarrely he stated there was no need to disconnect the battery. Sorry, but I don't want an airbag exploding in my face. Anyhow a simple allen key in the two access holes at the rear of the steering wheel to release the airbag clips was all that was needed and the airbag popped off. Simple enough to disconnect the wiring and then once the airbag is out of the way, an 8mm hex bit on a socket to undo the steering wheel boss nut. Wheel slides off. Refit is reverse of removal. Shouldn't take any more than 30 to 40 minutes. I'd never done this job before myself, easy enough.

I'd been toying with changing the wheel over for ages, but again I was a bit terrified that I'd be chucking £100 down the pan. In the end, nothing ventured nothing gained and I went for it. I can honestly say, best mod, apart from the infotainment system change, that I've done. The Aero wheel itself is a quality bit of kit. I wonder how many of these are still out there sat on dealers shelves....my new one has been sat in its original packing box for 8 years! At least its now got a lease of life.
    Last edited by Caddyman; 03-21-2016 at 03:04 AM. Reason: hex socket not torx

Saabisti

Looking good caddyman. That whole dash looks superb, love the head unit

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements