9-3 2002 Aero Audio Issues/Questions

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: 9-3 2002 Aero Audio Issues/Questions

Saab Newbie

9-3 2002 Aero Audio Issues/Questions

I have been looking around both on this forum and searching on Google and I don't seem to be able to find what I need, hoping that doesn't mean it is not possible.

I have a '02 9-3 Aero, standard audio setup with 6 disc changer in boot, Saab HU and from what I have worked out it has the smaller speakers mounted in the dash, door speakers/woofers and rear deck 6x9's. Also I believe this means I have an amp fitted, behind the glove box I believe?

I bought the Connects2 adapter including patch lead for my Kenwood stereo. What I was hoping was I could fit my stereo in with a DIN pocket underneath to remove the excess space. What I have found is that the Saab radio is not a standard size i.e. double DIN, and therefore I cannot get it to fit. I have looked around any don't seem to be able to find a fascia adapter, does anyone know of one or would it have to be a custom job?

When I plugged in my Kenwood HU only the dash and rear speakers were working so I presume the amp powers the door woofers? From what I have read the Saab amp will not be compatible with my Kenwood HU?

Is there a HU which will fit into the Saab which will work with the Saab amp or is this not possible? Will/should I replace the amp to get something that works with my HU? I have a set of Rainbow 2 way components with cross overs that I wanted to fit but after coming from a Vauxhall was not expecting the setup to be as complex as it is in the Saab.

Apologies for the waffle, hope it all makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.
    Merry Christmas everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator haloweenhamster's Avatar
    Bletchley frequent Birmingham & Northampton

Re: 9-3 2002 Aero Audio Issues/Questions

You will have to make a lead or get one made / find one on ebay
    pre_out.GIF
    Pinout for amp
    The mute cable you can probably get away with not fitting
    Amp on connected to the blue remote cable from the headunit
    Phono/rca to the front and rear left and right
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Saab Newbie

Thanks for that info, seeing that pin out picture has made me think. Need to double check my HU tomorrow, it has been a while since I have seen the rear of it but it may even have the connector for the factory fit amp.

Does anyone know if the 9-5 fascia adapter will fit my 9-3 if I remove the trim between HU & SID and enlarge the hole. Wanting to keep things looking as tidy as possible.

Thanks.

The connector on the hu that you are thinking of will be for a kenwood cd changer
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Saab Newbie

Yeah unfortunately I was thinking it may have been the DIN connector I was needing but no.

So thank you for the pin out diagram, I was thinking I would be able to get an 8 pin DIN to RCA cable from Maplin or similar but nobody seems to do one so guess that's why you provided it for me.

Someone mentioned eBay for the harness/wiring but can't seem to see anything suitable, any ideas?

Saab Newbie

Just to clarify something for my own piece of mind if you don't mind.

So on the back of the Saab HU there are the 3 block connectors, grey, brown & orange/pink that go into the bottom right of the HU as you look at it from the back. Two of these connectors then attached into my wiring harness for my Kenwood HU. There is then the 8 pin round connector just to the left of this, which I thought was for the amp but then reading somewhere else it talks about it being the CD changer connector? And then there is obviously the aerial input which I will need an adapter for.

So is the round DIN connector for the amp or CD changer? And then what does the spare orange/pink block connector do in the Saab HU which is not needed in an aftermarket HU?

I ask because my Kenwood HU will plug straight into 2 of the 3 block connectors and works no problem, leaving the pink/orange connector spare and then the DIN connector is then left hanging as well. I am not worried about loosing steering wheel controls as I always listen to MP3's from USB stick so use the HU to change track etc. But as I have already said with my Kenwood plugged in I loose the front door woofers. I have read quite a few articles about this amp/speaker setup and just want to have it right in my head before I start changing/altering things.

Thanks.

saabdoubledinhu.jpg

Din is for the amp, only one I found was from this seller which has a few types but expensive
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-a-d-...720?nav=SEARCH

If you know someone with a soldering iron you can get the din and phono plugs from maplin

The extra connector is for the car bus for the sid and diagnostic / programing
    Last edited by haloweenhamster; 12-27-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Saab Newbie

Ah ok so the DIN connector is on the amp not the head unit, so then if I make/get this cable sorted so it goes from DIN from the amp to RCA into the HU then do I need to alter any of the existing wires in the harness or will this cable for the amp be enough?

I have a soldering iron myself just like to be 100% on what I am doing before I go diving in. My old boss used to say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I was looking at that sort of cable on eBay, so I would need to get a male DIN to male RCA with just a red & white connector as my HU only has one set of red/white RCA's on the back of it would that be right?

Saab Newbie

So would need to get one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/twin-phono...male-10m-l04aj
    and these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-din-8-pin-plug-fj91y
    And then solder away following pin out.

But then from what I understand of it would I need to run seperate wires for the power on feed to the amp?

Tbh not worked on one and can't see the connector on Google image but if you have the original hu then just look at what gender that has or look for the cable behind the dash

The amp on will be a single wire that you connect to the blue remote cable from the hu loom
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Saab Newbie

Yeah can sort amp on no problem. Well like I say the rear of the HU has a female DIN which you said was for the CD changer and then the block connectors so not sure what you meant by looking at the back of the original HU, don't see why that would help me? Apologies if I am being dumb there as you have been really helpful.

Kind of expected to find more on Saab sites/Google with regards to this, do a lot of people just stick with standard HU or change the amp I guess?

From looking around the size of the standard amp is pretty small so I guess if replacing you need to relocate or are there good amps around that will fit in the current space?
    Which makes me thing, can you fit an aftermarket amp and use the existing power supply?

13. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements