Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

cleaning my soft top with washing up liquid ( AS A 1 OFF )

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  lawbeaker 
#1 ·
hi guys

as the title suggests can i use just standard washing up liquid to clean the soft top as a 1 off. i have just brought a pressure washer and want to clean the car, will me using washing up liquid hurt the soft top in anyway?

thanks for any help
anthony

#4 ·
TBH

I used the stuff from Halfords first, and that did OK, but then I wanted to wash the car anyway, so I did the usual bucket of soapy warm water, and just put it over the roof too?

Some Green smudges I wanted to get rid of, so scrubbed the roof a bit, looks better now :)

I cant see any harm in using soapy bubbles on a convertible roof? if you went to a garage and used the jetwash, that would have soap solution?

Lets hope I'm correct, and my roof doesn't fall off next week haha

#5 ·
NO!

It has salt and other stuff in it that is not good!

Use something like Renovo products, there are plenty of good things out there to use but washing up liquid should not go near a car unless being transported as shopping.

#6 · (Edited)
although i would never use washing up liquid for the roof, i have used it for the bodywork / alloys for many many years without any issues, but i do think it has the potential to do more damage to the roof, like mentioned above best to use proper soft top cleaners / conditioners etc, they are quite cheap from places like halfords

as a 1 off you could probably get away with it, but if you did this every week then thats where you would start to have issues with the roof not sealing properly after a while due to the fabric from being damaged by the chemicals, hence why soft top cleaners were invented that are designed to be chemically safe to the roof

#7 ·
Don't use washing up liquid on the roof, it has many nasties which you will find hard to get out. Johnsons baby shampoo (the blue bottle) can be used to do the job, along with Miltons steriliser for specific areas where mildew is present.

Then you can waterproof with a product like Renovo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.