CEL on 2.8 9-3 turbo X

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: CEL on 2.8 9-3 turbo X

CEL on 2.8 9-3 turbo X

So driving this evening I get on to the dual carriageway and my CEL starts flashing for a but then stayed on. I pulled over in to the nearest layby, luckily only a matter of yards after the light came on and turned engine off. Left it for a few minutes then restarted. The car sounds awful, a slight ticking noise from engine bay and the exhaust sounds like it's blown.

So I managed to drive it home but was very juddery and rough, barely went above 35mph just incase I damaged anything or made it worse. I plugged the OBDII diagnostics reader in and it gave me 4 DTC's;

P0300
    P0305
    P0300 P
    P0305 P.

After searching on the net etc it appears that I have multiple cylinder misfire but also cylinder 5.

Not sure what the extra P means after the codes though?

Really gutted as the cars in for a full main service at the end of the month.

Is this just a case of changing spark plugs?

No other signs of overheating etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: CEL on 2.8 9-3 turbo X

the 2.8 likes coils..move the coil if the code moves to that cylinder then coils failing..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Hi,

Just an update in case anyone has a similar issue.

Had my -sort of local- SAAB garage look at it today and they've replaced the coil pack for cylinder 5.

Whilst it was there I had them do a full service including XWD fluid and spark plugs. All in all I'm £750 lighter in the pocket!

They wanted over £400 (inc fitting) for the coil pack originally but after some moaning, haggling and comparing I got one for £200 (inc fitting).

If it was my other car I'd of gone for cheap crap and attempted to change myself but it is my special car so I took a big gulp and handed over my money!!!

Saabisti

If (when!) you need another coil pack Neo Bros do them for under £60 each. Coils are a regular occurrence on the 2.8 due to the high under bonnet temperatures.

Holly shit how much!!!!!!!

JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

I was taken back by it! I try to keep the parts 100% genuine SAAB but as you say the Neo's coil may have to be used as an alternative if it goes again as I can't keep forking out £200+ every time!

The service was a little extortionate but I guess you pay for the name!

I service my diesel 9-3 myself and I'm doing a bit of an experiment, trying to compare cheap alternative parts against original genuine parts. So far, not too much difference!

One of mine went last month, No.6 coil which is at the front & next to battery. I think that was £105 or £125 fitted. I know the rear banks a bit of a pain to change over but 400 quids taking the piss!

There's a thread on vxronline about coils and a few have fitted these now, no idea how good they are, they're not genuine Bosch ones but I'm getting a couple on payday just to keep in the boot to get me home next time a coil pops! Just how it is with these v6's they seem to go regularly especially on tuned cars.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191412308718?_mwBanner=1

Have you mapped yours yet? They respond very well to a cheeky remap...290-320bhp & a whopping 400-430ft/lbs depending who you go with Well worth it

JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

Was thinking of purchasing some additional ones myself just in case!

It's been hirsch upgraded the original owner (one before myself), had a £1,900 upgrade about a month after he'd purchased it so I don't actually know what it's like to drive it without a remap!

Ok so new update, the car isn't running right, I had the eml flash for 10secs today then go out. When I got home I hooked up the OBDII reader and no codes are logged, yet the car clearly stuttered and felt juddery. I don't have a smooth acceleration through the rev range so it's going back next Wednesday for further investigation.

I have noticed, however, that the engine gets ridiculously hot, so hot in fact that it would burn your hand and has that hot ticking sound when you listen to it. The temp gauge is at the usual 9 o'clock though!

Could be another coil that's gone mate, they're known for just going!

I know some of the Vectra boys have trouble chasing down the faulty coil, I think sometimes the cel flashes but no codes show up so they end up replacing the lot (£££) When mine went it was the opposite, no cel just missing/juddering then pulled the code off dash command with the iPhone.

What plugs are you using? I'm using NGK LFR7AIX plugs with the JZW tune, but best check if these will be suitable for the hirsch map? I think they'll be fine but check first. They're around £60 a set.

JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

I got the SAAB garage to put a brand new genuine OEM set in with the service, think the last lot where genuine SAAB ones as well as all services have been done at SAAB main dealers.

Interestingly the light hasn't returned and hasn't thrown up any code's.

The next to check is whether all the fans and coolant bits are working correctly as it does seem hotter than it should be despite the temp gauge on dash saying otherwise!

Not sure when coolant was last changed, it's not usually a service plan item from what I can work out.

Regular Saab Guy

"Not sure when coolant was last changed, it's not usually a service plan item from what I can work out."

That's what my garage told me - it's apparently meant to be a for-life item. However, I asked them to change it anyway (not believing anything can really be for life). They later told me the colour of the fluid wasn't great, suggesting that it does in fact deteriorate. They then only charged for the fluid, not the labour.

I think I'll bite the bullet and do a coolant change soon just to satisfy myself.

Interestingly I've managed to get the EML to flash at me again and read the code which turned out to be a pending P0301. So looks like I'm working my way round the coils lol.

I can't find a diagram to show which coil is which though, I can only logically assume that the top three, starting from left to right are 1,3,5 and bottom three, again from left to right are 2,4,6?

Can anyone confirm this?

My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

16. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements