Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Getting that showroom finish!

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  lawbeaker 
#1 ·
What would members advise for restoring paintwork to showroom condition and keeping it there?

#2 ·
Really if you want the best best best you can get take it to a detailer who will go through a paint correction.

Plus really you need to broaden the level of "restoration" you require. Otherwise most people cant really help, if its simple swirl marks or marring. A normal 3/4 stage paint corrector should do the trick. Clay, Cut, Prime, Wax etc...

#3 ·
so a respray and lock it away in a clean room isnt an helpful comment then?

#5 ·
Yep , as lawbeaker says , I brought what I thaught was a ver expensive bar of soap , broke it in half , and used a cheap spray on polish , and the clay bar together , I got in a very messy mess , but it ok all the roughness out of the paintwork , and no smears , and my car looks silver again ! . Now all I've got to do is go over it with a good polish . But so far the rain just turns to droplets on the car ...... I'm impressed ,

#6 · (Edited)
Hi

It depends on how bad the paint is to begin with. also how much you want to spend. If the paint is seriously dulled and nasty swirls in it then chance are it needs i a 'mop' - proces using a machoine polisher and different grades of polish and water but you really need to know how to use one or you can dammage/burn the paint!

Can reccommend AutoBrite and Mitchell and King products to maintain a finish.

If you want it done right go to a pro. i know three very good detailers however the closest is nr Oxford. YThese guys use stuff such as a ceramic coating as the top layer of thier finish to protect the paint but its not cheap and requires training and skill to apply.

generally i claybar the paint and use Mitchell and King to give a rich, deep shine and protect the paint at around £140.00 a pot its not cheap but it does around 10-15 aplications and lasts 6 months or more. Brake calipers, etc i use babywipes (yes, really) or if really bad T-Cut. never use T-Cut on bodywork. the rubbers get going over with a sillicone lube and plastics with smooth peanut butter (again, yes, really!) if really faded or autobrite cherry glaze as this brings them back nicely. This process produces some nice finishes.

One of mine from last year that had the M&K treatment. 15 years old.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Coupé

#7 ·
Hi

It depends on how bad the paint is to begin with. also how much you want to spend. If the paint is seriously dulled and nasty swirls in it then chance are it needs i a 'mop' - proces using a machoine polisher and different grades of polish and water but you really need to know how to use one or you can dammage/burn the paint!

Can reccommend AutoBrite and Mitchell and King products to maintain a finish.

If you want it done right go to a pro. i know three very good detailers however the closest is nr Oxford. YThese guys use stuff such as a ceramic coating as the top layer of thier finish to protect the paint but its not cheap and requires training and skill to apply.

generally i claybar the paint and use Mitchell and King to give a rich, deep shine and protect the paint at around £140.00 a pot its not cheap but it does around 10-15 aplications and lasts 6 months or more. Brake calipers, etc i use babywipes (yes, really) or if really bad T-Cut. never use T-Cut on bodywork. the rubbers get going over with a sillicone lube and plastics with smooth peanut butter (again, yes, really!) if really faded or autobrite cherry glaze as this brings them back nicely. This process produces some nice finishes.

One of mine from last year that had the M&K treatment. 15 years old.
View attachment 40993
Pretty impressive I would say....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.