Should I go for a Saab 9-3 from a 9-5?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Should I go for a Saab 9-3 from a 9-5?

Should I go for a Saab 9-3 from a 9-5?

First of all sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I'm new here and a bit unsure on where to post.

So here's my question. I currently have a Saab 9-5 1.9 TiD Vector Sport with 110000 miles on the clock, 2007 model. I love the motor and have owned it for a year now. I thinking about trading it for a Saab 9-3 2.8t aero 2006 saloon model. The main reason for this is that my insurance has come down in price and I can actually insure the 9-3 cheaper than my 9-5. I also like the sound of the extra power and acceleration of the 2.8. I just wanted some opinions on whether a swap was a good idea or not. Should I expect higher repair costs? Is there anything in particular on the 9-3 that I should be wary of?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Newbie

Re: Should I go for a Saab 9-3 from a 9-5?

I'm probably not the best to reply (others will obviously know more) but look for broken front springs, make sure everything works, brakes cost a fortune (OEM) for my 2.0T aero so I'd imagine they're more for the 2.8 and generally high part prices. I'd look for a full service history and loads of receipts plus the fuel and road tax are going to hurt coming from a diesel, I average 23mpg and my commute is 1 mile town driving plus 8 motorway.

SaabScene.com Premium Member

Depends on what your budget is, I cannot recommend the TTID enough, amazing performance & economy especially after a remap. Road tax is £135 a year as well.
    MY09 TTID custom remap 238bhp & EGR delete - Sold
    MY10 Nissan 370z GT

Saabisti

Check the road tax (Autos are seriously expensive and not sure if the manuals are any better).
    They also suffer from coilpack failures due to high underbonnet temperatures but thats about it.
    The 2.8 is a great engine and was rated on a website somewhere as one of top ten engines of the past 10 years.

6. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements