Saab 9-3 Display problems

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Saab 9-3 Display problems

Saab 9-3 Display problems

Hi, as a UK newbie to both this forum and Saab's I am hoping one of the members can help me out. I have just brought an 03 plate Saab 9-3 2.2 TID and there is a fault on the top display which wasn't illuminated at time of purchase, the guy I brought it from said it was temperamental and thought it was a fuse problem. The radio/cd player worked though .
    I found the relevant fuse and on pulling it out the radio went off, I replaced the fuse and the display came up said it was checking then everything was displayed correctly Time Date DTE etc etc . Switched the radio on and channel etc was displayed so thought I had cracked it. Unfortunately not it works fine for a while then next time I get in the car and turn the ignition on there is no display but the radio still works so obviously there is power going through the said fuse. When the display is not working I also lose my indicators display on the main instrument panel. Pull the fuse and put it back in and the displays on again and works fine for a while ( few hours ) but next day it's off again.
    Now pulling and replacing the fuse is not exactly hard work but I would rather just get in and turn the ignition and see my display so can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it.
    Most Appreciated
    Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Saab 9-3 Display problems

welcome to SS..it's more than likely you'll need to replace it..as there could be a problem within the sid itself..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Thanks for replying, I got another unit ( scrap yard admittedly ) but when connected got the same problem works for a while then nothing, pull the fuse and replace and its back up again, doesn't make much sense to me but I will keep pulling the fuse for now anyway

Quote Originally Posted by aerojon View Post
    welcome to SS..it's more than likely you'll need to replace it..as there could be a problem within the sid itself..

From what you describe, the display isn't receiving a wake-up signal from some other ECU
    When you pull the power and re attach, the display resets and runs until you turn off, where it goes to sleep again.
    So your problem lies in whatever ecu is supposed to wake it or in the cabling between them .
    I don't know the connections in the car but some kind soul here might know the system overview and tell you. It may be the ignition switch module but if the car starts then it may rule that out.
    However it may have a separate feed to the display module so can't say for sure.

Replace fuse with a new one?

Unplug battery, leave for half hour and re-attach?

Cheapest and easiest options!

7. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements