Solar powered Saab

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Solar powered Saab

Solar powered Saab

2006 Saab convertible
    I have had no end of niggly electrical problems ranging from steering lock warning, failure of remote to unlock the car, to the engine light on the dash board coming on and remapping the car software (I think).

I do not drive the car every day and often have to top up the battery with a conventional charger.

A few months go I purchased a "Ring" solar battery charger from Halfords and kept it on the dash connected to the battery whenever the car was not in use. Despite continued low use non of the above problems have reoccurred. This could just be coincidence but If you are someone who only does low mileage and if you have had a few electrical issues you might try this. I have found that an on-going solar top up is a cheap and convenient way of ensuring that the car is always ready when you need it.

If this is old news my apologies

Regards to all
    Adrian

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Solar powered Saab

Certainly a good idea for half the year April-Sept when we get 70% of our sunshine (I have roof panels)
    These small devices generate about 100ma which should be enough to overcome battery drain issues.

You typically lose about say about 500ma a day running alarms and onboard computer /radio etc

Re: Solar powered Saab

I read somewhere that you can hook a battery tender to your car's battery while you are not using it. I even tried it with my battery tender jr w/c I bought from 4wheelonline and yes it will keep the batt full and health.
    Last edited by lawbeaker; 02-03-2015 at 08:29 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements