Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Power steering problems

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  andyoak 
#1 ·
I've had my 9-3 Tid vector anniversary for two years. It's been a trouble free car until a few weeks ago when the steering started to get really stiff and lumpy. Took it to a local Vauxhall/Saab dealer and was told it needed a new power steering rack and electric pump. Quoted me £1,860 to supply and fit OMG!!
The steering rack has been leaking. But the pump seems to be working as I am able to turn the wheels easily to both locks whilst stationary?? Can anyone give me a bit of advice?
Many thanks
Andyoak.

#2 ·
Hi, I've had my 9-3 Tid vector anniversary for two years. It's been a trouble free car until a few weeks ago when the steering started to get really stiff and lumpy. Took it to a local Vauxhall/Saab dealer and was told it needed a new power steering rack and electric pump. Quoted me £1,860 to supply and fit OMG!!
The steering rack has been leaking. But the pump seems to be working as I am able to turn the wheels easily to both locks whilst stationary?? Can anyone give me a bit of advice on whether I should just have the rack replaced as the pump is costing nearly £600 ?
Many thanks

#3 ·
Re: Hi just joined Saabscene

welcome...

first thing where has it been leaking from ??

if anything i would fit a 2nd hand unit those electrohydraulic racks arent cheap....

i would try filling up the res if its been leaking maybe find the level it just low....

as for when driving its worse.... check the electrical connections for it they may have bad contacts and since being electrical(and needing alot) cause the iissue

#5 ·
Re: Hi just joined Saabscene

Hi thanks, I have bought a reconn rack but will have to get the garage to do all the work, far too tech for me, I think the rack has been leaking from the seals, so have resigned to getting that done. Just don't understand why they are telling me the pump needs replacing. Am I right that if the pump works when parked it must be ok. Yes it will need filling with fluid. I have to ring the garage in the morning, are there any questions I should ask them to decide about the pump?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.