Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Decent budget tyres - ttid estate - jinyu yu61

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kwob 
#1 ·
Put some of these on the front the other week, so far so good!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225-45-18-JINYU-YU61-95W-XL-225-45-18-2254518-2-X-CAR-TYRES-/151346527224?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item233cf4bbf8

Reviews here...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Jinyu/YU61.htm

Quiet, don't spin up easily, good under breaking, don't look high end... Because they aren't!

Yet to give them a good test in the wet but reviews suggest they're more than capable.

If you're after decent tyres at a snip, worth a try in my opinion at well under £60 a corner.

#6 ·
Ok, an old'ish thread, but I went to a tyre shop this morning to have a wheel rebalanced on the wife's car. While I was in there mooching about, I noticed 4 brand new Three A P606 235/45r17 97W's (Extra Load) sat in one of the racks. Cheekily, I pulled one out and looked for the tyre manufacturing date, and they were made this year.

So, whilst appreciating that there are plenty on the forum who will not touch cheap Chinese tyres with a barge pole, I've read plenty of 'reasonable' things about the P606. Bearing in mind that I use summer tyres for summer use only and the vast majority of my journeys are motorway work and I don't drive like I'm auditioning for Le Mans, I'm seriously considering shoeing my summer alloys with four brand new P606's. The price, £45 each inclusive of fitting/new valve etc and balancing, so £180 for the lot. I'm currently running around on Continental Winter Contacts on my 16 inch alloys until at least the end of April, so I'm thinking, get the summers reshod now and they'll be good to go when the Contis come off.

For the price and my particular useage, I think this might be worth doing. Any thoughts?........

#8 · (Edited)
I'll put my 2 penance worth in , I've been running on jinyu's for the last 6 months
I looked on Asda tyres , as the way they sell is like this ------- you order , you book an appointment with the nearest tyre place , they send them there , the tyre place fits them balence get rid of old tyres and you pay ! Simple .
I got all 4 - 225 40 19Y XL fully fitted £225.00 p
And I must say for what Asda state as there "budget " brand , they are flipping great I don't hang around , and I value mine and my kids life's .
My old tyres were still legal but at that price I could not resist!

#9 ·
Adding more to this topic even when you visit 'Tyre Review' Motor sites etc understanding just what the performance and ride is like is as accurate as the weather forecast. My vert has always run on Evergreens and last year they were £70 each. I went onto that famous site and purchased 2 used ones both tested with 6mm tread left, purchased and delivered for £44 and £20 to put them on.

Even the fitter said what good condition they were in!

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have only ever bought part worn tyres once, the winter tyres I currently have mounted on my 16 inch alloys. The reason was simple, they are Continental TS830's that when brand new at the time, were about £120 each. I won them fair and square off the famous auction site from a well to do bloke who worked in the City of London. I paid just £142 for all four. He had only had them a few weeks and had covered just 500 miles on them when he decided to change his car. They had almost 9mm of tread on them. I couldn't believe he didn't put a reserve on them. When I travelled down to London to collect them, I asked him why he hadn't. He told me he just couldn't be bothered. I guess when you have too much money, it doesn't matter.

But as for part worns in general, unless in the scenario I experienced, I personally wouldn't, but that is just a personal choice. One thing you'll notice when people flog part worn tyres on the auction sites, they hardly ever tell you how old the tyre is for starters, most likely because they haven't got a clue about the date stamp and no nothing about tyre age. Secondly, part worn tyres could have quite literally come from anywhere, you'll never know the history of the tyre, only what the seller wants to tell you.

So, it seems I'm going to pop along to the tyre shop I visited taking my four summer wheels with me and have those budget tyres fitted. As I say, for my useage, they should be just fine.

#11 ·
On the saab 9-3 I am a fan of the rain sport 3, bought from camskill and then fitted locally and come in at just under £70 a corner.

Earlier this year on a project car I was going to go uniroyal again but i wasn't even sure the car would MOT and how long I would keep it so I opted for a cheaper option. Got some linglongs fitted for £45 a corner and they have performed admirally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.