Aircon Compressor Noise Like Exhaust Blowing!

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Aircon Compressor Noise Like Exhaust Blowing!

Saab Nut

Unhappy Aircon Compressor Noise Like Exhaust Blowing!

Hi. After a vigorous drive my 9000 started making a noise like a blown exhaust from the fron'ish, particularly noticable on the over run. When the rain stopped for long enough to check it out the noise actually appears to originate from the aircon compressor, whether or not the clutch is engaged (e.g. it still does it when OFF on the ACC and not rotating/clutch not engaged).

Anyone know what this is? I once did the magnetic clutch shims because my last 900 aircon stopped engaging, and can relieve the serpentine belt from above, probably.

Thanks for any suggestions...... if there is anyone still here??

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Aircon Compressor Noise Like Exhaust Blowing!

maybe its gurgling part of the thames

on a serious note does the aircon work ?

Saab Anorak

Sounds like it may be the compressor bearing. I have had this (although could not hear it inside), followed by the compressor seizing. Only realised when I could smell rubber burning followed by smoke when I stopped at a junction. The compressor pulley still turned stiffly but the aux belt was slipping on it and the bearings had got so hot that the plastic connection block and cable had melted. I was in Cheshire and had to get back to Kent by the evening to fly out next day, RAC relay managed it - and saved me a lot of fuel! If it is only the magnetic drive worn (normally shown by the clutch not pilling in and driving the compressor) just remove the centre bolt and pull the outer 'disc' off' The fish out a shim or two from the hole (if there are any left) and bolt the disc back on. There is a clearance but don't have the info here, but the disc should be just clear of the pulley so that it can freewheel when not engaged.
    Last edited by AlanG; 02-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Saab Nut

Had another look and listen. Aircon still works. The noise sounds like a hammer drill, is intermittent with engine speed and mainly on the overun, so when dragging on the belt versus being driven by it. It happens whether or not the magnetic clutch is engaged (I have done the shims on my last 9000, 25 thou does it BTW). So probably something has come loose inside the magnetic clutch that is attached to the pulley side rather than the driven side. On this basis it isn't the compressor bearing, doesn't sound like one either, no bearing noises or any other when the vibration is not there using the screwdriver as stethoscope. I assume the clutch can't be changed and is not repairable...

Removing the clutch assembly from the Compressor and examining it is the ..only.. way to deduce what's actually wrong with it.
    Could be a broken bit that contacts what it shouldn't on rotation ?
    Presumably a spare/used compressor could be a replacement clutch assly donor ?
    Other possible is to source the Shorter Serp belt for a Non AC 9000 and give up the AC function?
    Drastic but inexpensive.

Saab Nut

So I finally solved it and the problem was unexpected - and apparently not unusual. The whole compressor was falling off the engine, but not obviously. It was tightly bolted to the mounting bracket, in turn bolted to the engine. One of the bolts holding the bracket to the engine had fallen out, the lower bolt was unscrewed but trapped so not lost, and the third was hanging on tight so it looked OK. But, with one retaining bolt, it was rattling against the head at resonsnces! So the metallic noise was exactly right. The local GP garage missed it to, and said I needed a new compressor, the bearing or clutch had failed.

*********** So I have a perfectly good SH compressor if anyone wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by briancatt View Post
    Hi. After a vigorous drive my 9000 started making a noise like a blown exhaust from the fron'ish, particularly noticable on the over run. When the rain stopped for long enough to check it out the noise actually appears to originate from the aircon compressor, whether or not the clutch is engaged (e.g. it still does it when OFF on the ACC and not rotating/clutch not engaged).

Anyone know what this is? I once did the magnetic clutch shims because my last 9000 aircon stopped engaging, and can relieve the serpentine belt from above, probably.

Thanks for any suggestions...... if there is anyone still here??

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements