Saab 9-5 Ipod cable - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saab 9-5 Ipod cable

Saab Fan

Re: Saab 9-5 Ipod cable

Mine is an SE, with tape player below the radio buttons and CD player above them, all in one unit like this:-

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-28775.jpeg
    Last edited by bizzay1; 11-11-2013 at 03:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Nut

Mine is the same. Just minus the tape player...

Like this one from ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Sa...item4acbc04398
    Last edited by valinco; 11-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Saab Nut

Can anyone help? looks like I have beaten the forum!

What setup do people have in their 9-5's now.

Cannot believe there is not a single owner out there who hasn't installed a mp3 jack in their vehicle? Considering just changing the stereo out, but then that in itself might bring further complications.

Nothings ever easy...

I've been looking at this too and have been as unsuccessful. I think £120 is a bit steep for a cable but it looks like they've cornered the market! I have the AS/3 with CD and Tape and I am using a tape adapter for MP3s at the moment but I really want an integrated one, the only info I have found is a DIY jobbie that involves getting hands dirty:

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml

http://jurgar.wordpress.com/2008/07/...-9-5-audio-en/

I am considering buying a 2nd hand unit off ebay and giving the soldering a go.

Saab Nut

Guys - I'm going to try this soon:

http://saabworld.net/f29/line-input-...e-input-28000/

Has anyone ever tried this... was it easy? Did it work?

I cannot think of another way to get my mp3 player to play music through the saab system. I am loathed to change the stereo in a vehicle i paid so little money for... (super pleased with it btw)

Saab Newbie

I've seen a walkthrough guide about how to add an aux connection using the telephone input. You'll need to take the head unit apart and solder to the phone connections. Its not plug & play but looks simple enough..

Saab Fan

Does the telephone function need to be activated with tech 2 to make it work ?

I bought an MP3 RDS transmitter, a lot better than the rest i used, not bad at all and came up with tracks on sid, got frustrated with whole aero sound system tho, alright/good accoustically but not enough bass, then i bought a less than half price new avic bt system, proper chew like, sounds amazing as you have to go the whole hog, full speaker rewire, full change of speakers to 4 ohm, a sub/amp IS req and a further amp for the front door bass speakers to compensate for 2 to 4 ohm.
    All or nothing my friend, really worth it now, wasnt then haha !!
    If u wanna go the whole hog gis a shout ill try and make it easier than what it was for me as theres abso no info on it. And the following info wasnt totally correct (wiring colours)for my 2004 but will be right for you. It also catergorizes different stereo systems.
    Laters
    http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml

287 Bhp / 410nm Map
    Open Air Intake
    Maptun Re-Circ Dump Valve
    Maptun 35mm (15mm) Lowering Springs
    15mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
    235 Michelin Back Tyres.
    Pioneer AVIC F940BT Double DIN Ent' / Nav Unit
    Vibe 6.5 comps & 120w 2 Ch amp,JBL 5"s & In-Phase 3.5"s powered by H/U, JBL 12" Sub & 260w Amp & Full Re-wire.
    B/N D I Cassette.
    Self Fully Re-Furbed alloys.
    Red Calipers.
    Rear Tints.
    Carbom Saab badges.
    Carbon number plate surround / letters.
    Blue Silicone hosing.
    Rear Estate Spoiler.

Saab Nut

thanks for the reply guys. I'm pretty certain it is almost impossible to add an ipod easily without, as you say, going the whole hog, which in a 1999 Saab worth about a grand (if that) isn't really worth it!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and replys.

V

Hello,

the Saab 9-5 radios from 1998 to 2005 do not have any aux-in option, so just a cable does not help any. What saabaux.com is selling, is not just a cable, but includes a bunch of electronics to emulate the cd-changer and allows the audio to be input via cd-changer audio channel. It is expensive, though.
    There's basically 3 options to add aux-in to OG9-5:
    1) Use and FM-transmitter or cassette adapter (easy, but quality not so great).
    2) Hack into the head-unit and solder some wires to the motherboard, as in the link a few posts above (requires skill and the results may vary, you can also destroy your radio, if you don't know what you're doing).
    3) Use a cd-changer emulator device (best quality and can be a plug-and-play install, but you lose the cd-changer, if you have one). In addition to the one sold by saabaux.com there's also more affordable options available.

CD only head unit is the poverty spec no amplifier other than the one built into the head unit AS1. This is the one which can be swapped out with ease for a different head unit (with an Aux out)....

13. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12