Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

throttle body query saab 1.9 tid

Tags
body query
18K views 58 replies 5 participants last post by  2512chrisb 
#1 ·
took off the turbo hose to look at the throttle body today. I noticed that the flap was open. I could manually move it to close and it seems free enough. my questions are.

1. shouldn't it be in the close position when the engine is off.
2. while inspecting the throttle body with engine running I was spraying carbon cleaner in it. while wiping the pipe before the flap with a paper towel it got sooked out my hand into the thb. :eek::eek::eek: luckily it got caught in the flap:D. if any had to get sooked in, what sort of damage would it cause.
3. when I take the thb off, can I do it without taking off the neg batt terminal.
4. can you pull out the maf sensor from its housing. it looks as if the previous owners have tried it.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Suspension

See less See more
#31 ·
alright mate, haven't took it for another blast yet. the oil level still looks ok, no blue smoke thus far. also checked for error codes tonight, none.:thumbsup: Off on Friday so take it out then. don't fancy doing 3000 revs in 5th gear, that's about 100mph.:eek:

the only issue I have is I don't have any torque in 2nd gear, its ok in 3rd & 4th.
also checked the history of the car. in 2009 the car had done 120k, then when I bought it in September 2013 it had done 111k. WTF. :eek:

#35 ·
OP. Be careful what you say about the last owner and the transaction.

VOSA records should confirm the mileage for you https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle
It may be there is a mistake on the MOT - its not unheard of but checking back a few mot's will give you a better idea.

If the car has ben sold privately or by a trader with false miles then this will be of interest to Trading Standards and ultimately the police and cps as they take a very dim view. It may be the last owner(s) is completely ignorant if the mileage changes and it could have been done a while back.

In future when buying a car, physically check back if you have the old paper mot's and if not a VOSA check will confirm along with a HPI are a good idea in this day and age.

#36 ·
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior
will contact citizen advice on Friday. the previous owner wasn't responsible for the false mileage. it was done in 2009 down south. the previous owner lived in Scotland.

still having cold start problems. no power in 2nd gear. excessive exhaust fumes while stationery,(at junctions, traffic lights,etc). I could smell my exhaust fumes about 30 yards away from car when I was walking into work the other day(engine off).Still getting blue smoke about 60mph. I had power in 2nd gear last week and it lasted for about 2 days. THIS IS DOING MY NUT IN. I noticed I have a crack on my air filter housing could this cause any problems.

#37 ·
the filter housing shouldn't make any difference as its before the MAF, still looks pretty much sealed with the filter seal anyway
im pondering on the boost control solenoid !! or even the map sensor which you have changed

did you check pipes to dpf from the pressure sensor for splits etc are you still getting dpf code as this is a very likely issue that its blocked, hows the oil level !!. how are you fixed at removing the dpf to take a look at it ?

#38 ·
the map sensor had been changed just before I bought the car apparently. no codes after check tonight. map reading (kpa) 97, maf 14.88. I don't know if this means anything to you kez. the oil level hasn't moved, (checked this morning).

is it possible I could have gunked up the map sensor when I sprayed cleaner into the throttle body.
how hard is it to remove the dpf, if easy could I clean it while it is off.

#39 ·
is the map reading with ign on but without engine running ?

it should read atmospheric pressure 1bar 14.5 psi or 101 kpa at sea level with just ign on but obviously depends where you are in comparison to sea level on avg I would say between 97-103kpa so your not far out at this

the dpf is just a section in the exhaust so just unbolts in theory easy to remove depend on how stuck the bolts are lol

#41 ·
yes it can be cleaned whether it will be 100% success but will help eliminate your problem without throwing money at it there will be a sensor screwed into it and a pipe that pushes on, check this make sure not blocked or leaking split/perished etc it will go to the pressure sensor on the bulkhead..........would advise you soak dpf overnight then jet wash

think I mentioned this before......check for leaks in induction system from maf through intercooler to tb also check vacuum pipe for leaks etc

#42 ·
is something to compare to as a ball park figure

ign on........iat 54oC map 97kpa maf 0.81g/s

at tickover.... iat 36oC map 96kpa maf 13.6g/s

2k rpm .....iat 66oC map 98kpa maf 18.3g/s

2.5k rpm.....iat 62oC map 111kpa maf 35g/s

will dig out exact figures for you but should follow this give or take

#43 ·
2 last questions kez.
what do you use to clean the dpf.
can I clean the boost control solenoid. (is this the same as the wastegate solenoid.)

the car was very fast about 2 months ago. I read in the Haynes manual(last night) that you shouldn't boot it immediately after starting engine allow oil to circulate turbo etc.
when I got the car that's exactly what I did do. could I have done some damage to the turbo.

#44 ·
follow that link on u tube mate just give it a good jet wash/steam clean then get it back on the car and start so it can fully dry, you could soak or pour some petrol through for a Cpl of hours prior to washing

you could try clean bcv but I think if its faulty not a lot you going to do in way of cleaning

do dpf first lets see how that pans out also worth beens you mentioned it check the wg moves as should and the spring not weakened in solenoid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.