saab 9-3 aero 2005 amp and speakers help. - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: saab 9-3 aero 2005 amp and speakers help.

Super Moderator haloweenhamster's Avatar
    Bletchley frequent Birmingham & Northampton

Re: saab 9-3 aero 2005 amp and speakers help.

Without knowing what they have fitted the loc to i wouldn't fit another one as the existing one could be connected to the rear output in which case the headunit would have to drive the speaker & 2x locs, most locs are designed to replace the speaker so are relatively low resistance to provided some loading to the amp so by having 2 & a speaker could damage the headunitThe reason the car sounds are louder is because you have put alot of gain on the amp, you will have to set the level for the amp with the indicator going to try to balance the sound with the rest of the speakers
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by haloweenhamster View Post
    Without knowing what they have fitted the loc to i wouldn't fit another one as the existing one could be connected to the rear output in which case the headunit would have to drive the speaker & 2x locs, most locs are designed to replace the speaker so are relatively low resistance to provided some loading to the amp so by having 2 & a speaker could damage the headunitThe reason the car sounds are louder is because you have put alot of gain on the amp, you will have to set the level for the amp with the indicator going to try to balance the sound with the rest of the speakers
    thank you, heres a picture from where they went for the loc, but cant really tell if they are the front oe back speakears, i will just use a Y splitter for the second RCA then!!
    but i havent yet tested the existing Amp1 to see if it works!
    thank you.IMG_2118.jpgIMG_2117.jpg

Turn the gain down to reduce the sound of those.

Y splitter off that amp

I'd personally be tempted to rip all the after market stuff out and replace the AMP1 with a working AMP.

Quote Originally Posted by deano93tid View Post
    Turn the gain down to reduce the sound of those.

Y splitter off that amp

I'd personally be tempted to rip all the after market stuff out and replace the AMP1 with a working AMP.
    yes i have done that no more loud tack tack every time i indicate, yes i did look on ebay but a Amp1 is over £200 so a bit much me thinks, i need a pair of door speakers to improve the front a bit more any suggestions??

Now i did connect the vibe death box at the back and tried the Y splitter, but the sound was all at the front if i fadded it to the back on the head unit i would get only the sound from the 2 small speakers at the back, so what i did was tapped the back speakers with a converter for the RCA for the back amp, it works fine theres plenty of bass on the 6'9s and the sub, now just have to tied it all up i was thinking of fixing the amp under the back shelf so its out of the way! now i did read somewhere that if i tapped the small back speakers for the RCA that i would not get any bass!! i dont think thats what happened i cant really tell any different! has anyone heard about this? thank you

update!! i went down the route of fitting a new single din stereo where the original CD player is, pretty easy done, only had to remove the cd player, connect some cables and that was it really,
    12v Constant Power- ( Yellow ) - Harness on back of factory tuner
    12v Ignition Power- ( Red ) - Cig lighter plug
    Ground- ( Black ) - Cig lighter plug
    Antenna Wire- bought an adapter £3.00 on ebay
    Illumination Wire- ( Orange/White ) light surrounding the cigarette lighter

i only have the front door speakers connected to the new stereo and this was made easy as the previous owner fitted a small aftermarket amp in place of amp1 so the cables were there, as for the back i have 2 sets of rca's one for the amp that powers my 6'9's at the back shelf, and another for the sub ( vibe enclosed sub ), now im just trying to see if i can get the steering wheel remote control's back to work on the new stereo, does anyone know if it can be done?
    thank you.

Very interesting post.
    I went down the buying an AMP2 and switching the optics to feed the boot. I did manage to pick up the rear amp for 150. If I had seen this post I would of trapped into the front amp outs and gone after market in the back. Hey ho. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcserg View Post
    update!! i went down the route of fitting a new single din stereo where the original CD player is, pretty easy done, only had to remove the cd player, connect some cables and that was it really,
    12v Constant Power- ( Yellow ) - Harness on back of factory tuner
    12v Ignition Power- ( Red ) - Cig lighter plug
    Ground- ( Black ) - Cig lighter plug
    Antenna Wire- bought an adapter £3.00 on ebay
    Illumination Wire- ( Orange/White ) light surrounding the cigarette lighter
    Have you done anything with the head units surround? Mines got 2 gaps either side now there's no CD player facia fitted. Mine should be up & running next week fingers crossed!

JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by griffin dai View Post
    Have you done anything with the head units surround? Mines got 2 gaps either side now there's no CD player facia fitted. Mine should be up & running next week fingers crossed!
    hi no not yet but will cut 2 small bits of black rubber foam thingy and stick them on, dont really wanna glue anything in case i have to remove it!

Any pics of how youve set this up, as I would love to rip all the standard stuff out and redo it all

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12