DAB Aerials and AUX in - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAB Aerials and AUX in

Saab Afficionado

Re: DAB Aerials and AUX in

I dont know where it is but I think the link below will show you what it looks like.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-A...item27d8115583
    I had a reply from dabonwheels basically saying that the splitter could be used
    but to swap the aerial for the HAL 3 that I had already purchased and essentially use the
    splitter to get the FM/AM back again.
    Still undecided as best option -so I look forward to your feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

I've had the Saab a couple of weeks but only driven it. Yesterday I was able to spend some time servicing and cleaning it along with investigating the DAB and aerial situation.

I found some connectors in the aerial line and separated them. A quick measure with the meter showed 12v running through the coax. This is phantom power for the box at the base of the aerial. This would explain the lack of power wire to it. A Google of the part number on the box fund it is, indeed, an aerial amplifier.

More thinking is needed. I can't find a radio setting to turn off the phantom power so I need to check the Kinetic unit is happy with power on it's FM feed to the radio. It looks like a new DAB/FM amplified aerial is the only real option. If I install the Kinetic box next to the aerial in the lifting panel (it's tiny) I can connect the DAB from the new aerial to the unit and then the existing FM line to the radio takes over. The Kinetic DAB uses RDS to show what it's doing. All that will be required in the loom that moves with the roof panel will be thin and flexible wires for power and taking the Aux In to the front of the car.

The good combined aerials are roof mounts which might end up looking odd so I might get a body mount DAB only and forget FM altogether.

Then there's the non standard FM connector to investigate.
    Last edited by colinbythesea; 09-22-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Super Moderator haloweenhamster's Avatar
    Bletchley frequent Birmingham & Northampton

the aerial amp is in the antenna & it gets its power through the coax cable
    the power is put on the coax cable by the bypass unit / converting connector (listed as both on wis)

if you replace the aerial it would be best to bypass this
    Last edited by haloweenhamster; 09-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Thanks for the info halloweenhamster. The image you posted isn't showing up on my devices. I guess it shows the converter unit and it"s location, if so can you describe where to find it? Also, what is WIS? It sounds like it could be a useful resource, is it accessible?

Its behind the dash under the right hand pillar

Wis workshop information system is the dealership workshop manual, a bit like a Haynes but better
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for an answer from DABonwheels as to whether the Kinetic DAB unit will object to the phantom power. If so then I'll have to find it and unplug the power.

Tbh I would fit it to the head unit which is standard fakra connection & no phantom power but if you change the aerial you will need to bypass the bypass unit anyway & run a cable from there to the aerial to power it
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

Has anyone tried the justdrive DAB adapter which looks good on their website, apparently integrates with existing display, and best of all they come and fit it for you for the inclusive price! There is a special deal at the moment. http://www.justconnectme.co.uk/justd...b-car-adaptor/ <br>I'd be interested in any experiences anyone has had with them and their service and fitters with a 9-3SS - their compatability table shows OK for all 9-3SS vehicles!

The just drive adaptor looks similar to the Kinetic unit I have in my Prius http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digitizor_DAB_DAB_plus_DMB-A_car_radio.html. It works brilliantly. Needs a good DAB aerial though.

I was going to install one in my 9-3 convertible but sent it back when trying to get a good DAB aerial sited and the wires where they needed to was becoming an enormous job.

Saab Afficionado

Yes the problem is the aerial siting when it comes to the Convertible.
    I have installed a system using the Sony screen ribbon aerial (which is excellent on my 9-5 btw)
    Absolutely hopeless on the Convertible -so have a nice system.....but with useless DAB at the moment.
    So I am thinking the screens on these later 9-3's /Saab may not work very well for some reason(metallised?)

I am looking at installing this aerial in the front bumper....still waiting for it..... but worth a punt imho

http://www.amazon.co.uk/indoor-radio...door+DAB+radio
    Last edited by cjapeterborough; 10-18-2013 at 07:15 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12