9-3 AIR CON PROBLEMS (09 9-3 stopped blowing chilled air) - Page 4

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9-3 AIR CON PROBLEMS (09 9-3 stopped blowing chilled air)

Re: 09 9-3 stopped blowing chilled air

ok a quick check on #44

then to next stage if needed

the pressure sensor atttched to the aaircon pipe by the airfilter has a multiplug with 3 wires going to it............undo the plug

pin 1 is ground (black/brown)
    pin 2 is power supply 5v (brown/red)
    pin 3 is signal wire (green)........this varies the voltage of depending on pressure to send a signal to the ecu

with multimeter check you have 5v between pin 1 & 2 if not check..............

check you have a good ground on pin 1.........set your multimeter to continuity and check between pin 1 and a good earth does it buzz, then test on 12vdc probe pin 1 with the black lead and the red lead of meter to battery + you should get 12v

check you have 5v on pin 2...............again multimeter set to 12v probe pin 5 with the red lead and put the black lead on battery -

we will test signal wire later ..........this is proving you have power to the sensor

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Right now I am on the right box ( hangs head
    In shame ) I will work through those instructions
    And post an update when done, it mAy be in the morning
    :-)
    Bolton lad living on the South Coast

Saab 93 1.9 Tid Cabriolet 09 Plate

ok if above is ok the next step is to test the pressure sensor

the pressure sensor is actually a pressure transducer rather than a switch. It supplies a varying voltage according to the pressure in the system, so is not a basic on/off switch that can be bypassed by just bridging the terminals, which would cause a dtc

This can still be bypassed, but it is not as simple as bridging the terminals with a bit of wire, as that would most likely bring up a fault code for a faulty A/C sensor.

you can still bypass this sensor but it will need special tester which most people wont have..........the good news for a couple of pound you can buy a component called a potentiometer or variable resistor like this from maplin or other electronic stores.....................

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2205

ask them for one with a value of 4K7 or 10K or get both if they have in stock as both will cost less than a fiver to buy

also buy a pack of small spade connectors as you will need them to connect 3 pieces of wire to it if you don't have a soldering iron

fw21x.jpgok this is what you have just purchased.................you will notice it has 3 legs attached to it

next

the three terminals on the pot need to be connected onto some pieces of wire to extend them using the crimps you purchased.........and then connected to the sensor connector.......

remove the connector from the sensor

attach a wire to..........(by pushing into the connector)

pin 1 of the sensor plug (black/brown) to one of the outer terminals of the potentiometer (with the spade connector)

pin 2 (brown/red) to the other outer terminal of the potentiometer

pin 3 (green) to the centre terminal of the potentiometer

(this terminal 3 on the potentiometer produces a varying voltage depending on the position of the control shaft which you turn and will mimic the actual sensor)

once connected up.......... set the potentiometer to the middle of its adjustment (by turning the control knob)

start the engine and turn on aircon does it work.......... It may be necessary to adjust the potentiometer (by turning the control knob fully in one direction and slowly turning it) to get the compressor to kick in

If it doesn't start on any setting, then the problem doesn't lie with the pressure switch

Re: 9-3 AIR CON PROBLEMS (09 9-3 stopped blowing chilled air)

@ Update, struggling to find this ECU, all I have on the drivers side wing is a hoofing big airbox, can't see any evidence of wiring looms terminating any where near it. Just been playing on Google some mention of it being on the inner wing behind the splash guard going out again and going deep this the time to get on my back.

yep where good old google says

I have ground to a halt on this at the moment guys, I need to seek the assistance of a sparks, as I cant chase the cable around the engine bay as its enclosed most of time, I will get back to you on the result me feelers are out !

ok no problem, did you find the cable in question at the ecu ?.........if so you could tap into it and put in 85 and push the relay on to it, that way if it is this you are not paying anyone to faultfind, just to replce the cable

i know its a pig to trace one cable, and its getting more complex the further you go into it ,after my last test of the pressure sensor you would be going into the canbus system

anyway good luck and keep us posted of the out come

?

Super Moderator haloweenhamster's Avatar
    Bletchley frequent Birmingham & Northampton

just thought i would add this info

A/C cut-in and cut-off

A/C cut-in is processed by the engine control module when an A/C request is sent via bus. The engine control module uses engine temperature, A/C pressure sensor, battery voltage and rpm information to determine if the A/C compressor should be engaged.

Conditions for starting or stopping the A/C compressor, B207E/L/R (petrol) and D223L (diesel):

If the engine temperature exceeds 126°C (petrol), 123°C (diesel), the compressor will be stopped. In order for it to start, the engine temperature must be below 125°C (petrol), 122°C (diesel).
    If the A/C pressure exceeds 28 bar, the compressor is stopped. The compressor will be restarted once the pressure is below 23 bar. When the pressure is below 1.8 bar, the compressor stops. In order for restart to occur, the pressure must be above 2.2 bar.
    Petrol only: If the engine speed is below 450 rpm the compressor is stopped. In order for the compressor to be restarted, the engine speed must exceed 575 rpm.

Conditions for starting or stopping the A/C compressor, Z18XE (petrol):

If the engine temperature exceeds 126°C the compressor is stopped. In order for the compressor to be started the engine temperature must be below 125°C.
    If the A/C pressure exceeds 31 bar, the compressor is stopped. The compressor will be restarted once the pressure is below 24 bar. When the pressure is below 2.8 bar, the compressor stops. In order for restart to occur, the pressure must exceed 3.2 bar.
    If the rpm is below 450, the compressor is stopped. In order to restart the compressor, the rpm must be above 575.
    Currently
    9-3 2010 2T aero
    Had
    9-3 2004 1.8i
    900 1996

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234