Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

My Saab 9-3 Project

Tags
project
37K views 90 replies 12 participants last post by  Shaf 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just Started some upgrades on my 9-3. I had already improved the sound system a while back and now I've started on the outside. First upgrade was the wheels. I'm really pleased with the results.
Eibach springs are going to be fitted in a couple of days so looking forward to how its gonna look then!!

Here are a few pics of my project so far....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Full-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your response. Yes I repainted them myself. It was easy to do and makes the car look better. Funny you should mention the door handles as I'm on the hunt for a set. I replaced the front and rear indicator bulbs too with chrome ones to get away from the fried egg look. Are you going to spray your bumper Strips? They pry off easily but becareful not to scratch the paint.

#4 ·
I was thinking about it, yeah. I need the car on a daily basis, so I'd need to make sure it's not off the road for long. Do you have any tips on how to go about spraying them? What kind of primer, how long etc?
I might do the chrome indicators while I'm at it.

#5 · (Edited)
You are Probably looking at two to three hours tops. If the weather is nice then even better. Hold a cloth underneath a flat blade screw driver to prise the rear edge up. Once off rub them down lightly with fine grade sandpaper. Mainly to clear any rough edges and stuff. This also helps the Primer bond to the plastic. I used a local supplier for Primer, a tin of Saab silver paint and clear Laquer. It all cost around ÂŁ15. I used standard light grey primer. A couple of coats with the Primer with about 15 mins drying time between. Then the Silver paint. I did about three coats of this. I have to redo a tiny bit on the edge of the strip on one door so as a bit of advice, make sure the edges are coated well. I put a couple of coats of clear laquer to finish before leaving it to dry for about 30 mins. I put the strips back on the car to harden fully as it was a warm sunny day. Hope this helps..

#7 · (Edited)
Hmmm not sure as 150ml isnt a big can. Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative. I would hate for you to run out whilst the strips were off the car. That would be sooo frustrating!! I got mine from a shop called Auto Pitstop. Its a franchise so not sure if you have one by you.. The laquer should be ok as its the size i used but my paint was about 450 ml or something. Saying that I have some left stilll in the can after finishing the job. I guess i used about 250-300ml.. Defo just used one can to do the job. With the fusion blue I would use the dark grey primer.
Just one more quick bit of advice... When pushing the bumper strips back on, get a feel for how soft the paint is. I had one that was still a little soft and my finger print was visible lol. I was a little eager!! Had to take it off and touch it up!! Anyway good luck with the job whenever you decide to do it... It will be such an improvement visually.. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask...

#10 ·
My centre caps came today so they are now on the Wheels. I could've gone for the typical BBS badge but I have stayed true to my roots and have aquired a nice black and silver Saab design. My car is gonna drop 30mm tomorrow so more pics to follow for sure hopefully with weather permitting. I haven't been this excited since I had my Sunbeam Lotus back in 92!! If anyone is viewing this can they maybe suggest where I can get Silver door handles? Any help would be appreciated..

#11 · (Edited)
Well I picked my 9-3 up today after the drop job and I was impressed how it looked. Not sure how much more it would settle? It drives so good now and it isn't a hard ride at all. Firm but not hard. Goes round corners likes it's on rails!!!

Here are a couple of pics of my car now and one shot of my wheel with the new centre cap...

Alloy wheel Spoke Tire Wheel Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Saab 9-3 Full-size car

Still lots of other bit to do especially giving it a good wash tomorrow...

#13 ·
The bodykit was already on as its a vektor sport but I did respray the bumper strips. Badly need a rear aero boot spoiler for it. I have been driving it around tonight and I love it!! It has settled about another 10mm. I have had a few race challenges lol But I'm not ready to lose my license so soon after kitting My Saab out!! The pics don't really do it any justice. It looks much better in the flesh..

#14 ·
The drop looks imilar to mine, may drop a little more but i echo what you have said the handling is greatly improved.
If im completely honest im not sure if the wheels suit the car, but it is each to their own with car and how they look. Saying that im not crazy about the euro look so it is probably more my 'bad eye' . Good work on the spraying looks spot on.

#15 ·
Thanks for your honest post Gregg. I was hoping the rear would drop another 10mm but i think that's about it.. I am still using Standard dampers so maybe a short damper may drop it a little more? Not sure.. Either way I'm really pleased with it.

#17 ·
Drove down to Neo Brothers Saturday morning really early. Man that place was hard to get to Lol!!!:crazy: Picked up an Aero boot spolier and a windscreen washer pump. Mine keeps blowing fuses! Gonna be putting them on soon hopefully. I've noticed that my spending is getting a little out of control!! :eek: Need to kerb it a little. Next month I will be getting a pair a short dampers for the rear. I heard them squeaking a little and I'm hoping i will get the 10mm or so drop too. It rides awesome and is much improved over stock.

#18 · (Edited)
Put my Aero boot spoiler in the paint shop today. Hopefully get that put on by friday. If anyone is reading this I would really like some advice on where to drill the holes in the Boot? I understand that when bought new a template is supplied. Any ideas where i could get my hands on one? I could get it close but it would be much more accurate and quicker with the template. Any help would be extremely appreciated...

#19 ·
My lowered springs are not getting on with my standard rear dampers. Squeaks and clunk all the time. They are fitted correctly too. I've been researching the web and found it has really backed up my original thoughts of fitting short dampers. I also discovered that it's the reason my back end hasn't dropped as much as I wished. Another trip to Neo brothers for a pair of Bilstein B8's this weekend. I'm gonna be sooo skint!!! Basically I have the Eibach pro Sportsline Springs which my research tells me that I need short dampers. The spring is separate from the shock on the rear and the standard dampers are load levelling and will not drop to the intended spring size. Please don't quote me on this but it all does kinda make sense...

#20 ·
Kerbed my front nearside wheel today!! Arrgghh my heart dropped when i heard the Dunk sound. What an idiot I thought!! Getting it repaired next week. Gonna take another trip down to Neo brothers to get my Bilsteins B8 tommorrow too. Sort my rear end out finally. My boot spoiler is going to be finished late tommorrrow so a little something to look forward too I suppose...Lol

#21 ·
Fitted my Bilstein B8's today and the noise has gone!! It has also dropped a little lower at the rear so it looks like it its gonna settle nicely. Boot spoiler was being baked when I went round to the paint shop earlier and they assured me they will be ready to fit it midday tomorrow. Nearly there with the mods so far...More pics tomorrow hopefully!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.