Smelly and damp air from air con

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Smelly and damp air from air con

Saabisti

Smelly and damp air from air con

Help,

After a week of running the air con, the air from the vents smells horrible and is very damp.

I assume I have a blocked drain somewhere, can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to fix this?

THANKS

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Smelly and damp air from air con

It may also be the case that the air con system needs to be disinfected.

^^^What he said, you can get a can of a/c disinfectant from a good motor factor and DIY

something like this: http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...t_Cleaner.html

Not much point disinfecting if you don't look at and inspect the pollen filter, too. Best growth surface for microorganisms is a blocked filter or organic debris in the bottom of the filter housing. The main "aguarium" drain is in the centre at the front of the bulkhead behind the engine. You need to get the trim cover off the top of the space between the bulkhead behind the engine and the true bulkhead at the base of the windscreen and have a squint in to see if you have any water / gunk down in there unable to drain properly.

Saabisti

Thanks for that, I will have a look this weekend, I think there must be a blocked drain as when we start ACC the air comes out smelly AND damp.

Super Moderator

racingsnake,

Smelly and damp air from the air vents can also be a sign of a leak in the heater matrix. Typically the smell has a slightly curry like odour. If it is more musty, like a wet tent then your back to the air con and pollen filter needing cleaned.

Paul @ Kippen.

Saabisti

Quote Originally Posted by paul anderson View Post
    racingsnake,

Smelly and damp air from the air vents can also be a sign of a leak in the heater matrix. Typically the smell has a slightly curry like odour. If it is more musty, like a wet tent then your back to the air con and pollen filter needing cleaned.

Paul @ Kippen.
    Thanks Paul,

yes it is VERY musty and dank air, I have had the curry smell with a duff heater matrix in the past with another car and this is a lot worse.

Its finally stopped raining so I am going to investigate

Cheers All

Richard

there is also a small drain (with rubber "non-return pipe") on the bottom of the evaporator case itself. I'm not sure how you'd get to it without removing the evap box though. I think you can get to peer into the box by taking off the sensor that sits on top nearest the fan (the bigger of the 2 black boxes on top of the casing). If the very worst happens, you can get to it all by taking the blower fan out - which isn't a fun job. Link at: http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/v...wer/blower.php

I am still trying to chase down a funny smell in my 9000... Good luck!

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements