In car microphone on a 2005 9-3. Another wiring query for in car hands free!

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: In car microphone on a 2005 9-3. Another wiring query for in car hands free!

In car microphone on a 2005 9-3. Another wiring query for in car hands free!

Dear All,

Another query in the wiring of the in car microphone. My car is a 2005 9-3 and I have fitted a Nokia bluetooth kit via the 18 pin connector socket on the passenger side. Sound comes through the car speakers and the multi function display shows "telephone", so, all good so far. Back to that old chestnut re connecting the built in Saab mic to the Nokia kit. I have searched the forum and found several references to the three pins on the back of the mic and high/low outputs. Here the the query. My car has twin mics in the courtsey light housing which are embedded in a kind of black oblong box that unclips and pulls out downwards. There is a four pin multiconnector on the top (numbered 1,2,3,4) though only three wires are connected, these are :- 1=(red/white), 2=(black), 3=(not used), 4=(blue/red). The Nokia has a mono jackplug lead for the mic which leads to pins 9 and 18 on the multipin connector, but the car mic does not work when connected in this way. I am currently running the kit with the separate Nokia mic sat on the dash (which plugs straight into the mic jack socket in the Nokia unit, thus dispensing with the mic connection via the 18 multipin) Does anyone have any knowledge of what goes where? The Saab mic unit is on the kitchen table. It can be opened by unclipping along one edge. Inside, there is an impressive looking circuit board with what looks like a microprocessor embedded within it - it would not look out of place on a computer!!. Pie and a pint to the first correct answer!!!

Gary E

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: In car microphone on a 2005 9-3. Another wiring query for in car hands free!

Some progress - of sorts.. The thing that I have removed is the alarm ultrasionic unit, which is quite separate from the microphone (though they do look like microphones...) I relaised this when the cars computer told me so this morning. The mic itself is just to the front of this unit and is on the right. Here we go...

Re: In car microphone on a 2005 9-3. Another wiring query for in car hands free!

Success!!! The wiring for the Saab mike is indeed grey, brown and green. The wiring positions are very helpfully marked 1, 2 and 3 on the mic. I found it necessary to remove the interior mirror (3 torx serews hold it) which improves access. The mic unclips and is removed upwards and again, I found it was better to remove a nearby wiring clip to improve access. Once you have the mic out and dangling, you can clearly see the three wires. I tried to pull the pins out of the plastic housing but they were not for budging. Rather than risk knackering it, I snipped the brown and green wires about an inch and a half from the connector and swapped them around. After a sucessful test call, I slipped some shrink sleeve insulation onto them and soldered the joints up. Slide the shrink sleeve into place and warm it (carefully!!!) with a lighter flame. Put it all back together and the job is a good one!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements