Odd Rattle from 2.0 petrol auto.

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Odd Rattle from 2.0 petrol auto.

Odd Rattle from 2.0 petrol auto.

I have an odd rattle on a 1999 9-5 2.0 petrol auto, the car has over 130k miles and has had all the usual 9-5 problems (ignition pack, throttle body, CPS, air vent issue). Saab Scene members have been right in the past so I thought I’d ask for some help. I have rattle form the car it sounds more like road grit hitting the wheel arches rather than the usual engine rattles it usually happens on start up and then intermittently during journeys it last for no more than a few seconds and is not connected with engine revs or road speed. At first I thought this was the serpentine belt breaking up with bits flying off and hitting the wheel arch but belt is intact (changed 30k ago), I’ve been under the car with it on axle stands trying to find lose bodywork/exhaust etc. but could not replicate the noise. With the hood up and on tick over the noise certainly sounds like it’s an internal engine issue but it goes after a few seconds so is hard to locate, the car appears to be running OK gear changes are all normal and engine still pulls strongly I am at a loss as to what this is all help gratefully received.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Junior

Re: Odd Rattle from 2.0 petrol auto.

possibly the chain tensioner sticking in?? after a few minutes of use it pops out again?????????

these are my thoughts man.

Re: Odd Rattle from 2.0 petrol auto.

Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen around the engine block, particularly around the chain end. They are very cheap on ebay. Or use a wooden dowel to do the same thing, stick one end in your ear and the other on the block.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements